[SOLVED] Cant Setup ZFS for somea reason. Running EXT4 on webinterface

TimRambo

Nov 4, 2019
ZFS is not compatible with disks backed by a hardware RAID controller.
Does this mean i have to run my box into some kind of raid i know i can run it in raid1 since i got 2 disks.
But then again i will get so less space on my box only have 2x2TB if i remember correctly from my host.

I did setup the PVE with ext4

Regards
TimRambo

Last edited:
Having trouble finding my drives they dont show up...

Is there a way for me to wipe patritions and use them on proxmox ?

I only have 2 drives and idk if i wanna run them in raid or no raid.

I only have 2 drives and idk if i wanna run them in raid or no raid.
If you want your VMs to survive the failure of a disk you need some kind of RAID. If it is done in a hardware controller or in ZFS is a secondary question.
If you are okay to lose VMs and maybe the whole system if a disk fails you can use both disks without a mirrored RAID.

Having trouble finding my drives they dont show up...
Where do you run into this problem?

If you want your VMs to survive the failure of a disk you need some kind of RAID. If it is done in a hardware controller or in ZFS is a secondary question.
If you are okay to lose VMs and maybe the whole system if a disk fails you can use both disks without a mirrored RAID.

thx for the reply but my friend that suggested me the OS told me to run it in raid as mirrioring so i dont loose anything if one drive fails.

Reactions: aaron

I still get this even that i have installed the installer with ZFS
https://i.imgur.com/NxWZSdq.png

If you installed it with ZFS and only have two disks in the system they should already be used by the zpool created during installation.

Do you have an rpool listed in the Disks -> ZFS panel?

If you installed it with ZFS and only have two disks in the system they should already be used by the zpool created during installation.

Do you have an rpool listed in the Disks -> ZFS panel?
yes i do now i didnt before

What do you see if you check the details?
Something like this?
Code:
rpool
  mirror-0
    disk1
    disk2

If yes then you are good.

What do you see if you check the details?
Something like this?
Code:
rpool
  mirror-0
    disk1
    disk2

If yes then you are good.
yes, i do how do i now proceed to upload isos etc ?
and does proxmox now have dynamic HDD ?

As mentioned in the pinned comment under the video, you need to enable Thin provision for the Storage. :)

A warning though: If you enable it on the same storage on which Proxmox VE is installed, which is true in your case, you can run into the problem that the sum of the max disk sizes of all your VMs is larger than your actual storage. If for some reasons those VMs are filling up you can run into an unbootable system because there is no space left.

thx for the reply but my friend that suggested me the OS told me to run i

Wrong. If you write anything on your mirror, the same date will be write on both disks of the mirror. But if now your mirror will not check what was write you can go in trouble ... because when you read the data you will read in a round robin way only from one disk without any other checks (except zfs). If you read bad data .... you maby have nasty situation.

So mirror will not guarantee if the data read is ok. The only guarantee is the fact if you have a broken disk, the data can be delivered from the second disk (with correct data or with incorrect data)

Good luck / Bafta.

Wrong. If you write anything on your mirror, the same date will be write on both disks of the mirror. But if now your mirror will not check what was write you can go in trouble ... because when you read the data you will read in a round robin way only from one disk without any other checks (except zfs). If you read bad data .... you maby have nasty situation.

So mirror will not guarantee if the data read is ok. The only guarantee is the fact if you have a broken disk, the data can be delivered from the second disk (with correct data or with incorrect data)

Good luck / Bafta.
what i ment was ofc ZFS but forgot to mention that.
Right now i am in a pickle bcs my Box has completely turned off or not getting any connection.
I told the support ab it but still nothing. does anyone know if proxmox is unstable in any way ?

Right now i am in a pickle bcs my Box has completely turned off or not getting any connection.
I told the support ab it but still nothing. does anyone know if proxmox is unstable in any way ?
Can you please create a new thread for this as it is a new problem?

If the initial questions for this thread are answered please mark it as solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!