cant reach GUI on browser

briandw1969

Nov 23, 2023
just installed Proxmox 8.0 ,during setup i left everything on default except FQDN used router.net. tried connecting with https://192.168.100.2:8006 as instructed by Proxmox.using Firefox and Chrome i couldnt reach the GUI. i dont have direct access to my physical router(controlled by my ISP). tried pinging 8.8.8.8 from Proxmox with zero results.

I would highly recommend that you seek and review a few "network for beginners" videos on youtube. Some of them are very educational and helpful.

In short: your workstation and most likely all other local devices are located one side (192.168.1.0/24) of the river and you placed your new network device (Proxmox) on the other side (192.168.100.0/24). There is no bridge between the shores, they can`t talk to each other. Nor can PVE send messages to anyone else, because your home router is most likely on the other side as well.

Find an unused address in 192.168.1.[2-254] range and assign it to Proxmox. Make sure you tell Proxmox how to talk to nodes outside the 192.168.1.0/24 range, i.e. define appropriate Gateway. It should be the same as the one on your workstation.
These changes you can make by editing "/etc/network/interfaces" and "/etc/hosts".

You also need to tell PVE how to find all other IP addresses on the Internet when only Name is available. Domain Name Service (DNS) is responsible for it. The DNS is usually described in "/etc/resolv.conf"

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Neobin and intrax
unfortunately networks was my weak point in college and my professor only gravitated to those who had a better grasp at it. i'll start with the videos and see how it goes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!