[SOLVED] Can't mount Hetzner Storage Box CIFS

i have one more idea.

what happens if you telnet to the smb port to the storagebox?
telnet u3XXXXX.your-storagebox.de 445

does it tells you then, that you can escape with ctrl+] or does it times out?

Reactions: murda
i have one more idea.

what happens if you telnet to the smb port to the storagebox?
telnet u3XXXXX.your-storagebox.de 445

does it tells you then, that you can escape with ctrl+] or does it times out?

I let it run for 1m30s and nothing happens.

It works on another machine though, but I must note that this other machine is on another network than Proxmox.

I'll see if I can get ahold of someone at home to try it on their own device, to single out if it's a network issue outside of Proxmox.

Code:
telnet u******.your-storagebox.de 445
Trying 78.46.14.173...
^C

I let it run for 1m30s and nothing happens.

It works on another machine though, but I must note that this other machine is on another network than Proxmox.

I'll see if I can get ahold of someone at home to try it on their own device, to single out if it's a network issue outside of Proxmox.

Code:
telnet u******.your-storagebox.de 445
Trying 78.46.14.173...
^C
Thats the issue, here it works, no matter if i try from home or from a hetzner server directly.

Your outgoing port 445 is blocked somewhere, i think probably your home modem or something that has a firewall?
But that mystery is solved, you have just to find out what blocks your port.

Cheers

Thats the issue, here it works, no matter if i try from home or from a hetzner server directly.

Your outgoing port 445 is blocked somewhere, i think probably your home modem or something that has a firewall?
But that mystery is solved, you have just to find out what blocks your port.

Cheers

I just tried it on my dad's pc and it indeed can't connect either.

I then Googled "<my isp> blocks", and low and behold before I could finish my query the top result was "<my isp> blocks port 445"!

Thankfully we're changing ISP's soon!!

Reactions: Ramalama
I would also recommend not to use cifs/smb over the internet but rely on SSH instead. You can SSH-mount the storage as well (sshfs).

I would also recommend not to use cifs/smb over the internet but rely on SSH instead. You can SSH-mount the storage as well (sshfs).

I wanted to use the `seal` mount option to encrypt the traffic, but I will use sshfs instead now

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!