Can't hide 'VM' status in Windows guest

Asgarda

Sep 23, 2021
Hello!

After 4 hours of searching info into the Internet, i've found.. nothing. Many "how-to" with GPU passthrough are telling, what it possible in Proxmox, but I don't need to passthrough GPU, I just need to hide VM status of my Windows guest machine.

In documentation, in "Options" section, where is "cpu" option for VM. It contains "hidden=<x>" parameter, that shoud 'disable' VM status of guest, but.. It doesn't work!

As I know, Proxmox based on Debian. At my home, I've machine with Kubuntu 20.04 with QEMU and Virt-Manager. And it works fine. At my work, VM on the server with Proxmox, situation is reverse. Is where any difference between Proxmox QEMU and Ubutnu QEMU?

I've try everything. Setting "hidden", adding "args: -cpu 'host,kvm=off'" string, enables and disables KVM in VM config, switching BIOS type.. and nothing helps me. How can I disable VM status of my virtual Windows guest? I've started to guess what it doesn't possible without GPU. Is it possible for VM without GPU passthrough?

ps./ I using Proxmox 6.4 and 7.0 (for test)

its probably the automatic hv features we enable when you set the ostype to anything windows. try setting the ostype to linux or other and check if that helps

on another note: why do you want to hide it at all? even if windows task manager does not say 'virtual' it is not hard for a program to tell if it's running in a vm..

why do you want to hide it at all? even if windows task manager does not say 'virtual' it is not hard for a program to tell if it's running in a vm..
Some programs didn't start on VM or works not as expected. For example - drivers, games security systems and etc.

On my home WS I thought about switching my host Kubuntu to Proxmox and create two VMs with two separated GPUs: Linux for work purposes and Windows for gaming. With QEMU and VirtManager, as i wrote higher, I've achieved this and this works fine.

At my work I need to start software that are very critical sensitive where it starts: on VM or HW.

try setting the ostype to linux or other and check if that helps
This not helped... :(

I've found the solution. Just need to add "-hypervisor" key in "args: ..." string in VM configuration.

Hope it helps anybody who read this topic :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Thorvi
I've found the solution. Just need to add "-hypervisor" key in "args: ..." string in VM configuration.

Hope it helps anybody who read this topic :)
one more question, how did you do it? can you paste here your example? not working for me, its saying:

"kvm: -hypervisor: invalid option
start failed: QEMU exited with code 1"

right after i start the VM.

We had issues with SolidWorks License Manager, fixed with:
args: -cpu host,hv_vapic,hv_stimer,hv_time,hv_synic,hv_vpindex,+invtsc,-hypervisor

(PVE 7.4)

We had issues with SolidWorks License Manager, fixed with:
args: -cpu host,hv_vapic,hv_stimer,hv_time,hv_synic,hv_vpindex,+invtsc,-hypervisor

(PVE 7.4)
Thanks, it works for me(PVE 8.0).
Tips: don't set "cpu: x86-64-v3" in config file in the meantime. I met GPU driver 43 error code If I set it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!