Can't get WSL2 to work on Win11 under Proxmox 7.2 VE

davepl

Sep 22, 2022
When I attempt to install a WSL distro, I get this error:

WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102
Please enable the Virtual Machine Platform Windows feature and ensure virtualization is enabled in the BIOS.

I've enabled that and confirmed that nested virtualization is turned on. cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested contains "Y".

I used 'qm set 101 --cpu host' and confirmed that the vm's CPU is now set to host. And yet the error persists.

Any suggestions of what I might be missing? I've read the nested virtualization top 10 times and followed it to the letter, I believe. I've restarted the VM but not proxmox itself, though I made no changes to proxmox itself anyway (nested virt was always on).

Thanks!
Dave

bios: ovmf
boot: order=ide0;ide2;net0
cores: 32
cpu: host,flags=+hv-evmcs
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
ide0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=64G
ide2: local:iso/Win11_English_x64v1.iso,media=cdrom,size=5434622K
machine: pc-q35-6.2
memory: 8192
meta: creation-qemu=6.2.0,ctime=1663825286
name: win11stor01
net0: e1000=FE:41:C5:C3:D5:41,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win11
parent: Install_DarkMode
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=cd21cf31-2fcf-45c0-a625-7357b323b849
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
vmgenid: d6525bf6-d888-4d5b-9211-423f568cefc9

"Dave's Garage on YouTube"

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes, WSL is installed properly and I have enabled those components. I could remove and reinstall them as a long shot, which I will do, but I'm confused as to why this didn't work out of the box!

CPU(s)
32 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4216 CPU @ 2.10GHz (1 Socket)
Kernel Version
Linux 5.15.30-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.30-3 (Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:08:27 +0200)
PVE Manager Version
pve-manager/7.2-3/c743d6c1

I rolled back the snapshot to the original windows 11 pro install, repeated it, same result. Running out of ideas!

Hi Dave,

I am a big fan of "Dave's Garage" and a long-term user of PVE so hope I can give a little something useful back to you in return.

The easiest way to rule out an issue with the Windows 11 would be to boot the Proxmox installer ISO inside a VM on your existing Proxmox install; select 'Install Proxmox VE' from the boot menu and when you are presented with the EULA, use the noVNC sidebar on the left to send CTRL+ALT+F3 to the installer.

You will be dropped to the debug shell as superuser.

root@proxmox:/#

Please run:

root@proxmox:/# egrep --color -i "svm|vmx" /proc/cpuinfo

The resulting output should indicate whether the Intel or AMD virtualization extensions are being passed through to your VM by Proxmox.

If they are not being passed through, further tweaks may be required so details of your motherboard (incl. BIOS version) would be welcome.

It would be helpful for further diagnosis if you could execute the following commands on your Proxmox hypervisor and post the output here:

dmesg cat /proc/cmdline

While doing a bit of research on your problem, I discovered this:

https://www.onemarcfifty.com/blog/HyperV-Proxmox/

If this article does not prove useful to you, I am happy to pull a Windows 11 ISO and attempt to replicate your problem on my own Intel Xeon-based systems.

Looking forward to your reply!

Terry

While doing a bit of research on your problem, I discovered this:

https://www.onemarcfifty.com/blog/HyperV-Proxmox/

If this article does not prove useful to you, I am happy to pull a Windows 11 ISO and attempt to replicate your problem on my own Intel Xeon-based systems.

Looking forward to your reply!

Terry

Thanks.
This helped me fix my issue.
Fixed my GPU passthrough on the 5.15 kernel. I was pinned to 5.13 till I found a fix, and also fixed my WSL2 on my Win11 VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!