[SOLVED] Can't get cloud-init ssh_authorized_keys to work

PeterAndersson

Dec 13, 2021
I'm trying to use cloud init to add my ssh key, I have generated one on my desktop PC using id_ed25519 after that I added the following to my cloud-init.yml users:
YAML:
  - name: peter
    passwd: "..." # to enable auth using password until I get my key to work
    ssh_authorized_keys:
      - ssh-ed25519: ..... peter@....something
If I run /var/log/cloud-init-output.log it has a line with the text ci-info: no authorized SSH keys fingerprints found for user peter also there is no ~/.ssh directory.

When I try to connect using ssh I get the following
Code:
debug1: Offering public key: D:\\Users\\Peter/.ssh/id_ed25519 ED25519 SHA256:.....
debug3: send packet: type 50
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug3: receive packet: type 51
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug1: Trying private key: D:\\Users\\Peter/.ssh/id_xmss
debug3: no such identity: D:\\Users\\Peter/.ssh/id_xmss: No such file or directory

I attach the cloud init using qm set $VMID --cicustom "user=snippets:snippets/$SNIPPETNAME" and it works as other settings take effect.

What am I missing?

You, should not be seeing "ci-info: no authorized SSH keys fingerprints found for user peter". I suggest you re-examine either the terminal log, or the cloud-init.log that you should have access to via password authentication.

This is probably wrong:
- ssh-ed25519: ..... peter@....something

the line should contain the key as present in id_ed25519.pub:
Code:
ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAICuFH3UQzBPpWt5WiS1HYZ1JotIcR7C7opc/c+EWeDEQ john@example.com

note no :

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
I checked the /var/log/cloud-init-output.log file it still says ci-info: no authorized SSH keys fingerprints found for user peter. and ssh-ed25519: ..... peter@....something is just replaced content.
And yes I copied the content from my id_ed25519.pub but I added a - in front and a : after ssh-ed25519 to make it valid yml.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!