[SOLVED] Can't find /etc/zfs/zed.d directory in Proxmox 4.4

dnut

May 6, 2016
I installed today Proxmox VE 4.4 (ZFS Raid 1) , but I found there is no /etc/zfs/zed.d directory.

I usually uncomment the line:

#ZED_EMAIL_ADDR="root"

inside the file /etc/zfs/zed.d/zed.rc to enable ZFS e-mail notifications, but I found the lack of the entire directory zed.d.

Am I missing something?

Thank you

Sorry for hijacking this old thread, but I've got the "same" problem.
I've got a fresh install of pve 4.4.1 where I get this when I try to install ZED.

Code:
[100] % sudo apt-get install zfs-zed
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package zfs-zed is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'zfs-zed' has no installation candidate

This is what my source.list looks like:
Code:
[100] % cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib

# security updates
deb http://security.debian.org jessie/updates main contrib

And these are the available *zfs* packages for this machine:

Code:
[0] % sudo apt-cache search zfs                                                                       
bzflag-server - bzfs - BZFlag game server
libguestfs-zfs - guest disk image management system - ZFS support
parted - disk partition manipulator
simplesnap - Simple and powerful network transmission of ZFS snapshots
zfs-fuse - ZFS on FUSE
zfsnap - Automatic snapshot creation and removal for ZFS
libzpool2linux - OpenZFS pool library for Linux
libuutil1linux - Solaris userland utility library for Linux
zfsutils-linux - command-line tools to manage OpenZFS filesystems
zfs-initramfs - OpenZFS root filesystem capabilities for Linux - initramfs
libzfs2linux - OpenZFS filesystem library for Linux
zfsutils - transitional package

Am I missing something ?

Thanks!
The "No-Subscription" repo was missing. Thought that was in the sources.list.d/ like the enterprise repo.

Any reason why this isn't the default configuration ? Or do I just have a wonky install ?!

I guess that makes sense for an enterprise product :D.
But maybe you could add a checkbox/dropdown in the installer to switch either repository on or off. Just a thought.

If I apt-get install zfs-zed on Proxmox 5, it seems to want to drag down a lot of dependencies including zfs-dkms, spl-dkms, linux headers etc. - almost as if ZoL isn't already installed (which it was, I've been able to create zpools, ZFS storages etc.). I hoping this won't conflict with what's already there, but not sure.

Is this installation method still the authorised one?

If I apt-get install zfs-zed on Proxmox 5, it seems to want to drag down a lot of dependencies including zfs-dkms, spl-dkms, linux headers etc. - almost as if ZoL isn't already installed (which it was, I've been able to create zpools, ZFS storages etc.). I hoping this won't conflict with what's already there, but not sure.

Is this installation method still the authorised one?

yes. I guess you don't have your PVE repositories configured correctly (there is only pvetest for PVE 5 Beta, no no-subscription or enterprise) and are actually trying to install the stock Debian Stretch ZFS packages (which have a dependency on zfs-dkms, since Debian does not ship a compiled zfs module).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!