Can't figure out which ZFS version I am running or how to upgrade

proxmoxuser3000

Apr 10, 2019
I believe that I am experiencing a ZFS bug. It is issue # 6171 over on GitHub under the zfsonlinux project. Sorry that I can't post the link due to forum rules for new users :/

I am trying to make sure that my ZFS packages are upgraded, but I can't tell whether I'm on the newest version or not. I have a community subscription. I am running Proxmox 5.3 on top of Debian stretch. Below I have pasted the results of my attempts to find out the version. Also, apt update; apt-upgrade says that I am up to date.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as this ZFS bug is making my server almost unusable for important tasks.

Thank you.

Dpkg says I am running 0.7.13-pve1:

# dpkg -l zfsutils-linux

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==========================-==================-==================-=========================================================
ii zfsutils-linux 0.7.13-pve1~bpo2 amd64 command-line tools to manage OpenZFS filesystems​

but checking the kernel module, it thinks I'm only running 0.7.6.1:

# cat /sys/module/zfs/version
0.7.6-1​

Last edited:
but checking the kernel module, it thinks I'm only running 0.7.6.1:

# cat /sys/module/zfs/version
0.7.6-1

Hmm, shouldn't really be, it should match the package version, e.g., mine says "0.7.13-pve1~bpo1"

Just to rule simple things out first, did you reboot after the upgrade, new kernel and it's new modules only get loaded in cleanly on reboot.
What's your
Code:
uname -a

The reboot loaded up the new ZFS module, and now ZFS is back to functioning as normal!

Thanks for the tip. I try to reboot as little as possible, but sometimes I guess it's unavoidable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!