Can't edit features if not logged as root

raku

Renowned Member
Apr 16, 2016
Hi,
I've got a strange problem with Proxmox GUI when I try to edit Features of LXC container. When I'am logged as root, I am able to edit features:
1582900676028.png

But when I'm logged as other user with admin permissions, I can't:
1582900742457.png

My user has Administrator privileges:

Code:
# /etc/pve/user.cfg
user:raku@pam:1:0::::::
group:administrator:raku@pam::
acl:1:/:mad:administrator:Administrator:

Is there a way I can do this without root account? root account are disabled by default (no password set) on all my systems. I wouldn't enable them if I don't need :-/

Reactions: luison
hi,

some things are only editable by root because of the possible security implications

Is there a way I can do this without root account?
not over the GUI i think. but if you give your user sudo permissions then you can edit the file in /etc/pve/lxc/CTID.conf or use pct set command

When I configure Proxmox server, I disable direct access to root account. I set empty password and disable login via password to root.
I can only login:
  • to shell via ssh as my user or root with SSH keys only. When I login as my user, I can sudo to root
  • to Proxmox GUI as my user with password (root has got no password - root has no access)
  • to shell via tty console as my user with password (then sudo to get root privileges).
I've already set extra features by editing /etc/pve/lxc/CTID.conf files. But good to know, I can do it with pct set command. That is enough for me.

It is exactly what I was looking for :)
But pct set is a perfect workaround for me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!