[SOLVED] Can't create lvm volume group

rvdk92

Nov 8, 2020
Hello,

I have installed a new node, i have 4 x 1,92TB SSD in hardware RAID10.. i will create now a new LVM Volume group in Proxmox.

but get the follow error:

command '/sbin/pvs --separator : --noheadings --units k --unbuffered --nosuffix --options pv_name,pv_size,vg_name,pv_uuid /dev/sdb' failed: exit code 5

1610022772751.png

What can i do?

Last edited:
Hello,

i get this error:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
root@pve-m01:~# fdisk /dev/sdb

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.33.1).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

The old LVM2_member signature will be removed by a write command.

Device does not contain a recognized partition table.
The size of this disk is 3.5 TiB (3840699359232 bytes). DOS partition table format cannot be used on drives for volumes larger than 2199023255040 bytes for 512-byte sectors. Use GUID partition table format (GPT).

Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x8997549e.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have resolved this issue with:

fdisk /dev/sdb

then command: g (create a new empty GPT partition table)
and command: w (written)

that resolved the issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!