[SOLVED] Cant create Container LVM

yswery

May 6, 2018
Hi there I get the following error when trying to create a container

Code:
 WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space.
  WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools before they get full.
  Logical volume "vm-255-disk-0" created.
  WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes (8.88 TiB) exceeds the size of thin pool pve/data and the size of whole volume group (<2.62 TiB).
mke2fs 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)
The file /dev/pve/vm-255-disk-0 does not exist and no size was specified.
  Logical volume "vm-255-disk-0" successfully removed
TASK ERROR: unable to create CT 255 - command 'mkfs.ext4 -O mmp -E 'root_owner=0:0' /dev/pve/vm-255-disk-0' failed: exit code 1

This is running latest PVE 6 (BETA) <-- Yes I know
and I also know that I am "over committing" storage space on the LVM

pvesm status shows

Code:
Name             Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
local             dir     active        98559220        38655404        54854268   39.22%
local-lvm     lvmthin     active      2649657344       662414336      1987243008   25.00%

Does anyone know how I can get about creating containers on this? I dont fully understand the error here

Hi,
how exactly are you creating the container? It seems there is no size for the rootfs specified on creation?
The file /dev/pve/vm-255-disk-0 does not exist and no size was specified.

Hmm, I cannot reproduce this on my local setup. Can you please post the output of `cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg`. Is this a fresh installation? Do you encounter the same issue when creating a VM disk on local-lvm storage?
Also the output of `vgs -a` and `lvs -a` might be helpful.

Last edited:
When making a VM it seems to be able to create the disk ok:

Code:
 WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space.
  WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools before they get full.
  Logical volume "vm-255-disk-0" created.
  WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes (<8.87 TiB) exceeds the size of thin pool pve/data and the size of whole volume group (<2.62 TiB).
TASK OK

Picture of VM creation task: https://imgur.com/kvOFdy0
Picture of VM Success: https://imgur.com/1KUUHpe

Unsure what or how, but a reboot fixed this issue.

Please note, this was happening for me ONLY using the webui (through API it was fine) I didnt look at the JSON browser request to see what was happening and if the disk size was being sent or not, if it happens again I will look and dig deeper

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!