Can't boot

This is my old installation which suddenly stopped booting
I just post installation image name to see version

I already chrooted and tried to update-initframs
But it won't boot
Are you sure is not an hardware failure? Disk? Ram (try memtest)? Is a real server with IPMI and hardware logs to have a look at?
Seems not a boot (grub...) issue to me, but a more severe (HW) one.
Or try in chroot to install and updated kernel / reinstall the one you are using, maybe it's corrupted. Or record with your cell phone the boot procedure and messages and try to discover what are the first problems are shown (this kernel panic could be a result of some previous error/s)
Sorry, just my cent.

Are you sure is not an hardware failure? Disk? Ram (try memtest)? Is a real server with IPMI and hardware logs to have a look at?
Seems not a boot (grub...) issue to me, but a more severe (HW) one.
Or try in chroot to install and updated kernel / reinstall the one you are using, maybe it's corrupted. Or record with your cell phone the boot procedure and messages and try to discover what are the first problems are shown (this kernel panic could be a result of some previous error/s)
Sorry, just my cent.
I run HW test (Dell bios support that) and everything is OK
I can boot live distro and it works fine
Then I chroot to proxmox and install the same kernel (dpkg -i pve-kernel-4.10.17-2-pve_4.10.17-19_amd64.deb) and no luck - the same error.

Can I reinstall proxmox without loosing virtual machines? I copied /var and /root directories to external drive.
Originally root file system (/) was /dev/mapper/pve-root

Can I reinstall proxmox without loosing virtual machines? I copied /var and /root directories to external drive.
Originally root file system (/) was /dev/mapper/pve-root
I think you can try to remove all proxmox packages and reinstall, BUT don't run the iso installer, that will delete all disk content.
In any case you MUST HAVE a backup on external driver, if you don't there is a not trivial procedure depending on the type of storage you have (normal recent > 5.x installation? Then probably your Vm are in a thin-lvm logical volume, so you have to "dd" them, also have to save /etc content, but in any case I'm writing here to stop you from thinking of being able to save your vm without a proper backup on external storage and knowing what you are really doing).
So please try to record with your cell phone the boot messages, try to boot with an older kernel (initial blue boot menu, choose "advanced options for..." and then previous kernel) and report back.

I think you can try to remove all proxmox packages and reinstall, BUT don't run the iso installer, that will delete all disk content.
In any case you MUST HAVE a backup on external driver, if you don't there is a not trivial procedure depending on the type of storage you have (normal recent > 5.x installation? Then probably your Vm are in a thin-lvm logical volume, so you have to "dd" them, also have to save /etc content, but in any case I'm writing here to stop you from thinking of being able to save your vm without a proper backup on external storage and knowing what you are really doing).
So please try to record with your cell phone the boot messages, try to boot with an older kernel (initial blue boot menu, choose "advanced options for..." and then previous kernel) and report back.
Thank you for advice.
I managed to get all VMs working. I have some additional disks in this machine so I resized one partition, on free partition I installed debian, then proxmox in debian, and I added all VMs, changed conf files to point to LVM.
I still have lvm boot partition - strange but I can't find anything on that partition (ex boot) inside /etc/pve (i.e. I can't find old conf files).
Anyhow thank you all for help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!