Can't boot after upgrade

TheMineGeek

Sep 28, 2016
Hello,

I've been running Proxmox for about a year without doing any update. So I decided it was the day to do so.
I was in 4.x so I've first upgraded to 4.4 as suggested in the wiki. No problem, I rebooted the server and everything was okay. Then I've upgraded from 4.4 to 5.1. Upgrade went well, no error so I decided to reboot to be sure everything was okay. Big mistake.

At first, I had an error telling me :
Volume group "pve" not found
Cannot process volume group pve

After a bit of google, it seems that it happens often. I followed this thread instructions.
To do so, I ve booted using "Proxmox with Linux 4.4.98-3-pve", changed my grub file (added rootdelay=8) did a grub-update and then rebooted.

No more errors about volumle group "pve" not found but know, I'm stuck in a job which doesn't want to end :
"A start job is running for Activation of LVM2 logical Volumes"

I don't know what to do. I really don't have the skills to find the solution by myself.
Here is a picture of the screen with the error :
Y6lL1c9.jpg

Hope you can help me. Ask my anything if needed.
Thanks,
TMG

Code:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/pve/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

PS : I still can boot with Proxmox with Linux 4.4.98-3-pve

PS2 : Is it safe to use the old Proxmox since it is the only one who's working ?

Last edited:
no. but you can use it to boot temporarily and retry with the latest 4.13 kernel which contains a fix for a boot problem on certain SCSI hardware.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!