Can't access WebUI or SSH anymore - but containers are fine

Peam269

Aug 24, 2022
Hey, so my PVE installation started acting weird from one day to the other.
I can ping the server, I can also access containers and ssh into them and use them normally, but:

- No Access to the WebUI
- When trying to ssh onto the server, it asks for a password, I type it but it never lets me in afterwards (no "wrong passwd" messages, just no response at all until it times out)

I might know what the culprit could be, but I'd rather avoid putting out the drive and taking a look at it with my main machine, hence I am here to ask if somebody knows any way to get out of this.

My thoughts:
I recently modified the WebUI by adding in a CPU TEMP and Clock Speed monitor to the dashboard. The WebUI did break from time to time when there were major changes to the Webinterface (for example, it needed to be redone after upgrading to PVE 7.x). I haven't needed to access the main server in a while, which is why I am only realizing this issue now. If I would take out the drive and revert the changes made, I think that the issue might be resolved. If I do end up doing that and my issue still isn't fixed after it, I will write an update.

Okay, so I figured that 28GB of logs were filling my root disk to 100%.
I now removed the entire /var/log folder and recreated the pveproxy directory, which would then bring my webui back to life.

So, my installation is saved now - though I do not want this to happen again, ever.
I will take a look if these logs will reappear and then take a quick look at them - atleast as far as I can with my current knowledge.
Though, is there a cap or something which could be set up to avoid /var/log taking up more than X GB of space?

Thanks in advance!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!