Cannot start KVM

also, in console at this time i got:
Missing argument in sprintf at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/INotify.pm line 651.
Invalid conversion in sprintf: "%'" at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/INotify.pm line 651.

Hi, same problem here after reboot on last pve-no-subscription :

I have half of the vms on this server not booting

# qm start 126
ipcc_send_rec failed: File too large
Failed to create message: Input/output error
start failed: command '/usr/bin/systemd-run --scope --slice qemu --unit 126 -p 'KillMode=none' -p 'CPUShares=1000' /usr/bin/kvm -id 126 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/126.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/126.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/126.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,serial=regiesmtp391,uuid=d768ce9d-863d-45b1-affe-6000c1539549' -name regiesmtp391 -smp '2,sockets=1,cores=2,maxcpus=2' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000' -vga cirrus -cpu kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,enforce -m 1700 -object 'memory-backend-ram,size=1700M,id=ram-node0' -numa 'node,nodeid=0,cpus=0-1,memdev=ram-node0' -k fr -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:2337f5fe8fe9' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=threads' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/126/vm-126-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap126i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=12:09:88:2A:79:71,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net1,ifname=tap126i1,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=D2:44:36:4E:4C:3F,netdev=net1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x13,id=net1,bootindex=301'' failed: exit code 1
ipcc_send_rec failed: File too large

Edit : after second reboot, no more problem. I had have also strange multicast problem on first reboot on all cluster nodes. Maybe something bad has happen.

Last edited:
Try to do:
systemctl stop 126.scope
qm start 126

Thanks,I have already rebooted the server.
I have done the update on 6 servers,only this one has problem.
All nodes have lost quorum at the same time, just after this server has started.
So , maybe something bad has been sent to multicast, I'm not sure.

Can anyone explain to me what is the scope in proxmox systemctl stop 126.scope systemctl start 126.scope what is the different qm start 126 and systemctl stop 126.scope Or documentation which states that the pointer

man systemd.scope

Code:
  Scope units are not configured via unit configuration files, but are only created programmatically using the bus interfaces of systemd. They are named similar to filenames. A
  unit whose name ends in ".scope" refers to a scope unit. Scopes units manage a set of system processes. Unlike service units, scope units manage externally created processes,
  and do not fork off processes on its own.

The main purpose of scope units is grouping worker processes of a system service for organization and for managing resources.

systemd-run --scope may be used to easily launch a command in a new scope unit from the command line.

See the New Control Group Interfaces[1] for an introduction on how to make use of scope units from programs.

Unless DefaultDependencies=false is used, scope units will implicitly have dependencies of type Conflicts= and Before= on shutdown.target. These ensure that scope units are
  removed prior to system shutdown. Only scope units involved with early boot or late system shutdown should disable this option.

Can anyone explain to me what is the scope in proxmox systemctl stop 126.scope systemctl start 126.scope what is the different qm start 126 and systemctl stop 126.scope Or documentation which states that the pointer
That one seems create by systemd-run that launch KVM. But at least for me after a qm shutdown the VMID.scope was still active (no results on the log, the command was reported OK) but then every start will give the misleading Input/output error message.

The command systemctl stop VMID.scope remove that unit and then you can start your VM, but still I don't undertand why it was not removed, and then blocked everything.

Simone

Maybe shutdown did not work ((it just sends a ACPI shutdown). To make sure
the VM gets stopped use:

# qm shutdown 501 --forceStop

I may help if you install "acpid" inside the guest.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!