Cannot modify cluster.conf

kankamuso

Oct 19, 2011
Hi all,

It seems we did a mistake and broke the cluster conf. Now, quorum is never reached and the cluster does not start. We have tried to manually create a cluster.conf.new file and apply changes, but nothing works. We are even unable to write on /etc/pve. We have tried stopping the PVE-cluster service and modify the config file on /cluster, but after restarting the service everything goes back to wrong...

Cman cannot be started...

What can we do?.

Thanks in advance!.

if nothing helps, try to directly edit /etc/cluster/cluster.conf until you get cman running. Then move the changes back to /etc/pve/cluster.conf.

We have finally managed to make it work following other approach. We directly modified the sqlite database managing all that stuff and things are ok now... too complex perhaps !

Thanks.1

We directly modified the sqlite database managing all that stuff and things are ok now... too complex perhaps !

If you loose quorum, you can also reduce the expected votes. Just make sure that the other nodes are offline, then run

# pvecm expected X

where X is the number of expected votes (1 if only one node is online). That way you should be able to get quorate.

We have finally managed to make it work following other approach. We directly modified the sqlite database managing all that stuff and things are ok now... too complex perhaps !

Thanks.1

Kind of dug myself into this hole..... could you help with details on what you needed to do?

Everytime I edit cluster.conf it's over written , [dcdb] notice: wrote new cluster config '/etc/cluster/cluster.conf'

Last edited:
Kind of dug myself into this hole..... could you help with details on what you needed to do?

Everytime I edit cluster.conf it's over written , [dcdb] notice: wrote new cluster config '/etc/cluster/cluster.conf'

Well heck, got on the local console and messed around. Finally did a service cman start

what ya know, it started and synced /etc/pve

all is good...

ooopsss sorry this was on v2 of proxmox.. I missed seeing I was in a v1 forum.. sorry (was looking for the symptom)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!