Cannot install proxmox 7.1 with usb

Bolten88

Apr 23, 2022
Hello,

i want to try proxmox for the first time. I downloaded the image. Using Rufus DD i copied the iso to a usb stick. But everytime i get this error while installing:

no or wrong proxmox cd-id

I've used multiple usb sticks. How can i install proxmox?

plug in internet, re download prox, redownload rufus3.17 , yes when it ask to dwl extra pkg.. or install etcher . burn iso.

It's a pity. Last couple Proxmox ISO images seem somehow very particular what USB they are using.
I can't use DD to image the older USB drives anymore and I'm not about to install 3rd party software to do something this basic.

Last edited:
I can't use DD to image the older USB drives anymore and I'm not about to install 3rd party software to do something this basic.
plain dd should definitely work on a USB-drive (just copy it over to the whole drive - not to a partition or something).
We use this quite extensively here during our testing.

should this still not work - check the USB-drive/try another one. If the issue persists - maybe the system you're trying to copy it on has some issues (e.g. bad memory)

I hope this helps!

As said - having done this with the 7.2 ISO about one dozen times with at least 2 USB drives - I'm certain it works for me...

please post a bit more output - when you run into the issue - else it's not really possible to see what's really happening

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!