Cannot connect to ceph after install

cclloyd

Dec 4, 2018
Fresh single node install currently, with the intent to add 2 more nodes later that will use the Ceph storage from the first node.

I installed the first node and installed ceph.

I have 2 virtual bridges
- vmbr0, 10.0.1.2/16 - general network
- vmbr3, 10.10.10.2/24 - ceph network

I configured ceph with the network 10.10.10.2/24 for the public/cluster network, added 2 SSDs as OSDs, then created a pool and added it as storage.

But after I do all that, I try to create a VM using ceph as the storage, and I get an error:

> TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 100 - error with cfs lock 'storage-CEPH1': rbd error: got lock timeout - aborting command

What am I doing wrong?

ceph.cfg
Code:
[global]
     auth_client_required = cephx
     auth_cluster_required = cephx
     auth_service_required = cephx
     cluster_network = 10.10.10.2/24
     fsid = 7b8de1ea-92ae-4244-82df-2118e12963fc
     mon_allow_pool_delete = true
     mon_host =  10.10.10.2
     osd_pool_default_min_size = 2
     osd_pool_default_size = 2
     public_network = 10.10.10.2/24

[client]
     keyring = /etc/pve/priv/$cluster.$name.keyring

Network settings for node:
https://i.imgur.com/TTU9cFi.png

You are propably going to use ceph pool with failure domain = host and min_size = 2, so you neeed at least 2 hosts.
Now you have a choices (from good to very bad):
- add second node;
- create rule with failure domain = osd;
- change min_size of the pool to 1.

Fresh single node install currently, with the intent to add 2 more nodes later that will use the Ceph storage from the first node.
Ceph needs 3x nodes minimum. And it will need OSDs on all of them. Anything else is just careless, if you need your data.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!