Cannot boot after clean install

svendsen

Renowned Member
Apr 18, 2012
Hi Guys,

I have an issue with a new Proxmox installation (laste v3.2).
It's a new server with i7 Haswell CPU and Adaptec 7805 RAID controller.
Both motherboard and RAID controller is updated with latest firmware.

BIOS is with default settings - I've just enabled Intel Virtualization and VT-d.

Volume is 2TB.

Installation completes fine with no errors. But afterwards I cannot boot (It doesn't even come with GRUB menu).

I don't expect UEFI to be issue since I can see my volume properly. Also BIOS default setting is that storage loads UEFI and LEGACY driver - so it should just Work?

Any clues?

- Michael

Just tried installing RHEL 6.5 - Works fine.
Will try tomorrow installing Debian Wheezy to see how it reacts.

If you have any ideas what could be the issue - please post! :)

I've googled a bit and seems that there are some issues with GRUB, EFI and Kernel version <3.0 - but since I can install and boot RHEL 6.5 without any issues, I don't think that's the issue.

No, I checked that. Also when starting install with "debug" boot option, I see that the RAID volume is sda - so installer see it as first disk too.
I checked that /sys/Blocks/sda/removable is 1. Don't know if that is a problem... other installs would return 0.

I am having this exact same issue with my brand new Asus z87 mobo custom built machine. Proxmox installer runs fine, tells me to reboot, and I can't get it to boot from the HDD, no grub menu as well.

After some searching in the forum, I tried out installing Proxmox 3.1. Installation went fine, and I can also boot(!!).
After doing aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade to Proxmox 3.2, evertyhing still Works perfect!

So there must be some changes/issues in the 3.2 installer?

Hello

Similar problems (not with PROXMOX, but the pronciple should also work here) I investigated as follows:

- connect another boot-media (e.g. USB HD, works also with stick, NOT a live-media!) with a working LINUX and GRUB and boot that system

- mount boot partition (probably /dev/sda2) from the not-working installation
- if it´s not possible probably your media is corrupt

- copy the menuentry (see below*) from /<that bootarea>/grub/grub.cfg

- integrate it into grub of your alternative boot-media (make e.g. a file /etc/grub.d/09_proxmox, call afterwards grub-mkconfig and update-grub); maybe because of your additional media the media name for PROXMOX has to be updated es follows: sda = hd0, sdb = hd1 etc.

- restart with alternative boot-media, proxmox should now occur in grub menu

- select it and try to start

- if starts ok: the grub installtion from PROXMOX is not compatible to your BIOS => install your working grub at the PROXMOX HD

- if not: depends what is reported - maybe the media where PROXMOX was installed is corrupt?

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

*)
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Proxmox Virtual Environment GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-27-pve' --class proxmox --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
load_video
insmod gzio
insmod part_gpt
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,gpt2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root xxxxxxxx-yyyy-zzzz-aaaa-bbbbbbbbbbbb
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.32-27-pve ...'
linux /vmlinuz-2.6.32-27-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.32-27-pve
}

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your ideas, but as I write, Proxmox installation is indeed working with 3.1 installer. So I can now boot Proxmox, update it to 3.2 and reboot Works fine.
So as I wrote, there must be some changes in the 3.1 vs 3.2 installer.

Hm ... if GRUB is on MBR does it count whether BIOS understands GPT or not?

Just a thought, correct me if I am wrong: I have the impression PROXMOX installs GRUB always at /sda regardless where the system is put to. If PROMOX now was installed at /sdb there is no GRUB on it´s MBR even /sdb is the boot-HD.

Last edited:
The effect can be reproduced as follows:

- system with at least 2 HDs (whatever their current content is)

- install proxmox at /sdb

- boot from /sdb fails now: because GRUB was installed at /sda

- solution: change to boot from /sda in BIOS or migrate GRUB to /sdb

Not sure if the above is the problem in the current case, but a possibility

For me happened the same, with version 3.3. After install, no grub, just "No bootable device. Insert boot disk and press any key". Any other Win or Linux system has worked without any problem, but I noticed that partition table created with PVE 3.3 is an EFI System. I installed version 3.1 and it is working perfectly.

Now I have a question. Although I have seen people that upgraded to v3.2, is there anyone how had similar issue and was able to upgrade to 3.3?

For me happened the same, with version 3.3. After install, no grub, just "No bootable device. Insert boot disk and press any key". Any other Win or Linux system has worked without any problem, but I noticed that partition table created with PVE 3.3 is an EFI System. I installed version 3.1 and it is working perfectly.

Now I have a question. Although I have seen people that upgraded to v3.2, is there anyone how had similar issue and was able to upgrade to 3.3?

I have the same problem: only Proxmox VE 3.1 boot properly on my Asus CS-B motherboard, since Proxmox V3.2, clean install does not work.
Proxmox V3.4 support ZRaid now, so multi disk installation but same problem: after installation no boot, it is not a problem with bios order, I will check to start it with external rEFInd usb pendrive.

I will try also to disable VT/D in bios but boot problem with this item appears only when kernel is loaded, here we have not boot.

Last edited:
I have the same problem: only Proxmox VE 3.1 boot properly on my Asus CS-B motherboard, since Proxmox V3.2, clean install does not work.
Proxmox V3.4 support ZRaid now, so multi disk installation but same problem: after installation no boot, it is not a problem with bios order, I will check to start it with external rEFInd usb pendrive.

I will try also to disable VT/D in bios but boot problem with this item appears only when kernel is loaded, here we have not boot.

Ok my results: With boot in EFI on my rEFI pendrive Proxmox start :)
Disable CSM in bios, disable EZ Mode (if you have an Asus Motherboard), start clean install of Proxmox V3.4 from CD in EFI mode and Proxmox will start properly as the old 3.1 !!!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!