[SOLVED] Cannot boot 8.1 iso : EFI not found

Corwin

Renowned Member
Jan 26, 2016
FR
Hi,

Just tried to boot the last PVE iso 8.1.1, but it gets stuck directly, displaying:
grub
error file /EFI/ not found

iso 8.0.2 boots fine...

Is secure boot enabled/disabled or do you boot legacy ?

Is secure boot enabled/disabled or do you boot legacy ?
Is the bootloader/kernel signed in 8.1? secure boot possible with 8.1?

Because as far i now, secure boot is only for VM's on 8.1 but not for the host, but "Raspberry Pi Cloud" on youtube indicates that the host supports now secure booting...

Cheers

Yes.

No, that has been possible for years.
You can secureboot the host, lol.
i just enabled secure boot on the host and it cannot boot here. Maybe i have to recreate/reinitialize the grub2 partition, going to try now.

Thx for the clarification!

It took time to answer, sorry, yes the iso was not corrupt, re-downloaded
Tried on a host server at a cloud provider while in rescue mode, as usual, I used qemu-system-x86_64 (unsure about the version) with ovmf bios. This was reproducible on a second server, but maybe qemu was not up to date. Will try to use the latest debian release

Definitively related to QEMU... Installing version 7 allows booting without any trouble, sorry, I did not check this...
QEMU emulator version 7.2.5 (Debian 1:7.2+dfsg-7+deb12u2)

Hi,

Just tried to boot the last PVE iso 8.1.1, but it gets stuck directly, displaying:
grub
error file /EFI/ not found

iso 8.0.2 boots fine...
Hi. had the same problem and think i found a baypass off the truble by entering proxmox gui and select "proxmox install boot grub2" and hit 'e' on keyboard for text editing grub script. Whit out doing eny real editing i hit F10, then it boots like it should. Some how it looks like when you hitting the selection direct it bypassing the bootscript?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!