Can not login to proxmox from web interface

the ip add when I run ip a is different then the one on the console after boot up
I missed that.
Check that the IP is the same in the /etc/network/interfaces file and in the /etc/hosts file in the line with the hostname. Then restart the node and check again.

Reactions: Proximatez5
Hello,
My apologies. I said even when I put the https:// in front of the ip add, the browser just spins, never connects.

I tried the above commands and I'm getting "No such file directory" and Permission denied.
Bare with me, I'm new to this and still learing.
Thanks

Just to add, I did run "ip a" and the IP is the same as displayed on the box. Restarted it, and it stayed the same

Last edited:
When I run "ip add" the address I see is the same displayed as on the console, however they all have a state of "Down" except my loopback whish displays "Unknown"
I'm not suppose to run a ethernet cord to my box right? No, that don't sound correct. It would be wide open until I hardened it...

In Idrac, my dcho is disabled
Staic ip is different then the on display after boot. I tried switching, but did not work.

When I run "ip add" the address I see is the same displayed as on the console, however they all have a state of "Down" except my loopback whish displays "Unknown"
I'm not suppose to run a ethernet cord to my box right? No, that don't sound correct. It would be wide open until I hardened it...

In Idrac, my dchp is disabled
Staic ip listed, is different then the on display after boot. I tried switching, but did not work

I am a bit confused ;)

The NIC names that you see with ip add match the ones that are configured in /etc/network/interfaces? Same for the IP addresses that you have in /etc/hosts?

The NIC is down? So ssh and ping on that IP does not work as well? If that is the case, then that would be the explanation why the web interface is not available...

Can you post the contents of the /etc/network/interfaces file, so I have more of an idea?

Reactions: Proximatez5
I am a bit confused ;)

The NIC names that you see with ip add match the ones that are configured in /etc/network/interfaces? Same for the IP addresses that you have in /etc/hosts?

The NIC is down? So ssh and ping on that IP does not work as well? If that is the case, then that would be the explanation why the web interface is not available...

Can you post the contents of the /etc/network/interfaces file, so I have more of an idea?
Pardon the confusion:
Yes the NIC I see match the one in host.

The NIC appears to be in a down state.

lot@promoxtechtit1an: # 1p i
10:
‹LOOPBACK,UP ,LONER_UP› mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/lo0pback 00:00:00:00:00:00 br 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6::1/128 scope host
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
: eno1: (NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mg master umbrO state DOWN group default qlen
link/ether 18:66:da:a3:5d:96 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
altname enp1s0f0
: eno2:
‹BROADCAST, MULTICAST› mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 18:66:da:a3:5d:98 brdff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
altname enp1s0f1
I: eno3: (BROADCAST, MULTICAST» mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default glen 1000
link/ether 18:66:da:a3:5d:9a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
altname enp1s0f2
3: eno4: (BROADCAST, MULTICAST› mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default glen 1000
link/ether 18:66:da:a3:5d:9c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
altname enp1s0f3
6: vmbr0: ‹NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP> mtu 1500 disc noqueue state DOWN group default alen 1000
link/ether 18:66:da:a3:5d:96 brd #f:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
net 192.168.100.2/24 scope global vmbro
valid_ft forever preferred_ift forever
root@promoxtechtitian:~# hostname
promoxtechtitian
root@promoxtechtitian:~# hostname -I

Last edited:
I am a bit confused ;)

I greatly appreciate it. I tried your suggestions and they all worked or played a part with my success. Switched my ethernet port to a different interface, configured an unused IP add in my dchp pool to point to the server, config the IP add as a static, to ensure it would not be used if i was to reset or unplug, reinstalled proxmox, rebooted, Bingo. I have access to the web UI. Thanks again

I fix it just by the next commands

pvecm expected 1
pvecm updatecerts
systemctl restart pvedaemon pveproxy
systemctl restart pve-cluster
systemctl restart corosync

then flush your cache browser and reload it
I want to say this worked for me aswell. I also did 2 commands before doing those:

apt update
apt upgrade -y

I want to say this worked for me aswell. I also did 2 commands before doing those:

apt update
apt upgrade -y
Tnx
For me it was fixed by just running "apt update" and "apt upgrade -y"

zfs needed some attention from me because "Package distributor has shipped an updated version" of some config-files.
So the automatic upgrades of packages might have stalled because of this, so that something broke relating to the login of the web gui?

Its working. Im happy

Damn it, for me it was only the brwoser cache fucking with me after the upgrade...

And it was enough to clear Chrome's cookie cache. ;-)
Please try this out before anything else. This was the cause of my issue as well :)

pvecm expected 1
pvecm updatecerts

I had an issue logging into the web interface after a motherboard swap. Swapped mobo and processor but kept boot and data drives.

These commands helped me. I was able to login after the first four. Makes sense that the certs would be wonky if swapping the cpu/board.

pvecm expected 1
pvecm updatecerts

that worked very nice for me 2

I was having the same issue on Proxmox 8. SSH was working without any problems as I could log into root. Found another thread that was talking about needing to clear browser cache and reset some proxmox services, which I did all to no avail. I eventually thought there might be an issue with special characters in the password of which I had 4. I had a "\", "(", "+" and ">". I got rid of all of them on the new password after which the web interface will accept the password. Not sure why the proxmox ssh will accept a password character that the web interface will not but that is what happened.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!