[SOLVED] Can no longer create VMs on LVM-Thin primary storage pool

AaronForsythe

Dec 22, 2022
I recently added a USB hard drive to one node to use for storing backups. Since then my main storage pool will no longer show up when trying to create VMs or containers.
All of my VMs are currently running on the the pool and the machine boots and loads them fine. The options under Datacenter→Storage→(storage pool) now only show "Disk image, Container).

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    13 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.png
    2.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 6
Adding onto this, I spun up another instance of proxmox on another machine and created another LVM-thin pool. I'm running into the same restrictions on the second machine as well.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 4
LVM-thin is a block storage, you cant store backups on LVM-thin.
You said you added USB disk, how did you do it? Did you format and mount the disk so it can be used for backups as file storage?
You cant, well you can but should not, use USB disk as expansion/replacement of your LVM-thin.

Your LVM-thin pool appears to be functioning properly based on your screenshots. Can you clarify your question?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I realized I was looking at It wrong. There is no issue. The USB drive is not apart of the LVM storage. The USB drive is mounted as a directory purley to send backups to. The issue I though I had was with an internal hardware raid pool. This tread can be disregarded.
LVM-thin is a block storage, you cant store backups on LVM-thin.
You said you added USB disk, how did you do it? Did you format and mount the disk so it can be used for backups as file storage?
You cant, well you can but should not, use USB disk as expansion/replacement of your LVM-thin.

Your LVM-thin pool appears to be functioning properly based on your screenshots. Can you clarify your question?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I realized I was looking at It wrong. There is no issue. The USB drive is not apart of the LVM storage. The USB drive is mounted as a directory purely to send backups to. The issue I though I had was with an internal hardware raid pool. This tread can be disregarded.
Or rather the USB drive is not being used as a replacement for the LVM-thin pool. It is formatted as ext4 and mounted at boot with fstab.The backups are working fine. Thank you for the replay @bbgeek17. Sorry to waste your time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!