can I only use vmbr0-vmbr9? what about vmbr234?

mangoo

Feb 4, 2009
wpkg.org
Web interface only allows to create bridges vmbr0 up to vmbr9.

However, I usually create bridges with a name resembling the VLAN they are in, i.e. vmbr115, vmbr200 etc.

Is it possible to use such bridges with Proxmox VE?

I have them already created in /etc/network/interfaces and they are running.

no, that is not possible

That's bad. That's one feature I didn't like in VMware.

But I see it's enough to edit some files in /var/www/pve and /usr/share/perl5/PVE, look for things like:

vmbr[0-9]

and replace them with:

vmbr[0-9]+

I have "additional" bridges at least displaying now, but I still need to make some changes to be able to add them.

Or, is there some more fundamental reason why only 0-9 bridges are allowed (other than it would be hard to display really lots of bridges on the "create bridge" page)?

Or, is there some more fundamental reason why only 0-9 bridges are allowed (other than it would be hard to display really lots of bridges on the "create bridge" page)?

Network configuration is complex enough, so I do not see why we should add additional complexity?

Network configuration is complex enough, so I do not see why we should add additional complexity?

What is more intuitive to you:

vmbr1 in VLAN 113
vmbr2 in VLAN 125
vmbr3 in VLAN 214
vmbr4 in VLAN 221

Or:

vmbr113 in VLAN 113
vmbr125 in VLAN 125
vmbr214 in VLAN 214
vmbr221 in VLAN 221

This is true, network configuration is complex, that's why I'm looking for a way to simplify it.

The the next user wants to connect 3 vlans to one bridge, and suggest a naming like:

vmbr-113-234-12

I dont think thats resonable.

- Dietmar

There was a suggestion to add a 'description' field to the network (bridge)configuration recently. Would that help?

There was a suggestion to add a 'description' field to the network (bridge)configuration recently. Would that help?

Right now, one has to look at system/index.htm to make sure what interfaces does a given bridge use. So the description would surely help.
What you mean I think would be (when we "Create" a new virtual machine):

Network -> Bridge:

vmbr0 (main interface)
vmbr1 (VLAN for mail services)
vmbr2 (VLAN for something else)

?

Currently, only "NAT (User mode network)" has a description, being able to add it for bridges would help here.

I see that adding support for my request would be more complicated anyway - other than changes in the web interface itself, "qm" would also need to be changed a bit.

BTW, current implementation doesn't scale well beyond 10 bridges ;)

vmbr0 (main interface)
vmbr1 (VLAN for mail services)
vmbr2 (VLAN for something else)

Yes, something like that. I will add this to our TODO list.

BTW, current implementation doesn't scale well beyond 10 bridges ;)

I guess it is easy to extend that. Or did you find a limiting factor?

Sorry for necro post, but in my opinion this would be a very kind feature (so this post was 2009). At least to add some type of description to the network list (e.g. Vlan number or whatever), and also to see this description while choosing the network interface for the VM in the dropdown menu.

Best wishes

P.S.. gute Arbeit Leute, weiter so!-)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!