Can I create two pve-zsync tasks?

ozgurerdogan

Renowned Member
May 2, 2010
Bursa, Turkey, Turkey
I want to take snapshos of zfs weekly and daily. So can I create two cron task like:
/usr/sbin/pve-zsync sync --source 1.2.3.4:100 --dest D3 --name 101DAILY --maxsnap 10 --method ssh

and

/usr/sbin/pve-zsync sync --source 1.2.3.4:100 --dest D3 --name 101WEEK --maxsnap 10 --method ssh

Hi,
yes you can. But as far as I can see you have to manually edit the intervals afterwards. The relevant file is '/etc/cron.d/pve-zsync' and here you can learn about the time format 'cron' uses.

I think it is not with crons because one job which is daily will eares weekly one. So I meant to create two seperate sync jobs. But this time I will also (I think) need to create two dataset for each jobs.?

They won't erase each other. Each snapshot contains the name of the pve-zsync job. You can't create multiple jobs with the same source, destination and name.

Hi,

I think you could create 2 diferent tasks with pve-zsync for the same surce but using different destinations on the same destination host but using 2 different datasets.

Good luck!

I tested it and there is indeed a problem. When checking if older snapshots exist, pve-zsync ignores those which do not match the job name. So after
Code:
# pve-zsync create --source 192.168.20.130:105 --dest myzpool/backup --name test1 --maxsnap 2 --method ssh --source-user root --dest-user root

# pve-zsync create --source 192.168.20.130:105 --dest myzpool/backup --name test2 --maxsnap 2 --method ssh --source-user root --dest-user root
it will fail because it is trying to do a full sync:
Code:
ERROR Message:
COMMAND:
        ssh -o 'BatchMode=yes' root@192.168.20.130 -- zfs send -- myzpool/vm-105-disk-0@rep_test2_2019-09-19_09:50:03 | zfs recv -F -- myzpool/backup/vm-105-disk-0
GET ERROR:
        cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination has snapshots (eg. myzpool/backup/vm-105-disk-0@rep_test1_2019-09-19_09:49:22)
must destroy them to overwrite it

The workaround @guletz mentioned is one way to do it and the cleanest way considering what pve-zsync is currently able to handle.

Another thing that might work would be manually adding a snapshot @rep_101WEEK_<TIME> on the receive side. Haven't tested it though.

WARNING!!: this third way is very likely to produce some other conflict in pve-zsync, so use it at your own risk: making two cron jobs with the same '--name' but different schedules.

I was able to create two task so :

Code:
root@backup:~# /usr/sbin/pve-zsync sync --source 1.2.3.4:101 --dest D3 --name 101DAILY --maxsnap 10 --method ssh
root@backup:~# /usr/sbin/pve-zsync sync --source 1.2.3.4:101 --dest D4 --name 101WEEKLY --maxsnap 10 --method ssh

Then I was able to see:
Code:
root@backup:~# zfs list -t snapshot -o name | grep vm-101
D3/vm-101-disk-1@rep_101DAILY_2019-09-19_10:28:24
D3/vm-101-disk-1@rep_101DAILY_2019-09-19_10:51:13
D3/vm-101-disk-1@rep_101DAILY_2019-09-19_11:23:27
D4/vm-101-disk-1@rep_101WEEKLY_2019-09-19_10:40:21
D4/vm-101-disk-1@rep_101WEEKLY_2019-09-19_10:51:20
D4/vm-101-disk-1@rep_101WEEKLY_2019-09-19_11:23:40

Thank you.

Hi,

As a side note, I is highly recomended if you want to use any kind of backup, that the backup MUST be initiated by the buckup system and NOT by the source(security reson only - think that if your source is hacked, and the intouder can delete ALL your cron tasks, and the remote backups) !!!!!

Reactions: ozgurerdogan
I am taking backup from a different datacenter / country. And initiate from remote backup server only. But good point to remind.

... maybe also a time base firewall(open firewall 5 min before your task must be start for new ssh connection + statefull fw) for this task could be nice to have ;)

Better than that, I am only allowing traffic only between nodes and from my pc. And my pc has dynamic ip so I update it with following bash to update ip in rules in case of ip change:

updateip.sh

Code:
# crontab -e : */5 * * * * sh /updateip.sh
# /etc/init.d/cron restart

HOSTNAME=myoffice.ddnsfree.com
NODENAME=s3
CURRENTIP=/currentip.log

Current_IP=$(host $HOSTNAME | cut -f4 -d' ')

if [ $CURRENTIP = "" ] ; then
    sed -i '/# Dynu/c\IN ACCEPT -source '"$Current_IP"' # Dynu ' /etc/pve/nodes/$NODENAME/host.fw
  echo $Current_IP > $CURRENTIP
else

Old_IP=$(cat $CURRENTIP)

if [ "$Current_IP" = "$Old_IP" ] ; then
    echo IP address has not changed
  else
    sed -i '/# Dynu/c\IN ACCEPT -source '"$Current_IP"' # Dynu ' /etc/pve/nodes/$NODENAME/host.fw
    echo $Current_IP > $CURRENTIP
    echo iptables have been updated
    pve-firewall stop && pve-firewall start
  fi
fi

Reactions: guletz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!