Can’t resize VM harddisk, “got timeout (500)”.

Guillaume Soucy

Oct 20, 2017
L'Orignal, Canada
guillaumesoucy.com
Hi,

I need to increase the size of one of my VM hard disk but I got an error saying: got timeout (500).

I got two error messages The first one is when the VM running and the second is when the VM was stopped.

VM 110 qmp command 'block_resize' failed - got timeout (500)

and

command '/usr/bin/qemu-img resize -f qcow2 /mnt/disks/images/110/vm-110-disk-1.qcow2 7516192768000' failed: got timeout (500)

How to get rid of theses error messages?

Thanks!

Guillaume

Looks like the resize is taking too long. If I see that right you want to resize it to 7.5TB?
Could you try 'qm resize <vmid> <disk> <size>'? (see 'man qm' for more information on that command)

The desired size was 5TB, I don't know if this was causing the issue but when I uncheck the "has a backup" check box in the hard drive advances settings, the size of the drive jump to 9TB. Its mathematically logic as I tries three attempts, probably they get stuck as there nothing who appeared in red in the log pan, usually when something happen I can read it in red there.

I will tick back the case for "has a backup" and reattempt to do the same operation to see.

Guillaume

Not at all, whatever if the "no backup" case is checked or not I can now expand hard drives.

Other thing is I see an very high IO usage who occur each first Sunday of each month. This also affect the services running on the VMs. I can see an average of 10% with peeks up to 40%.

Today Monday Jan 7th, the physical host run very fast. This happened also at Oct 7th, Nov 4th, Dec 2nd and yesterday Jan 6th 2019. Its seem to have a kind of pattern there.

When the issue occurred the server also run a process named md4_resync and this process has a CPU load of 41.0% and it was ran by root.

Guillaume

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!