Can’t ping default gateway address

sheikhchili

Jun 17, 2024
### Background:
I'm a student and completely new to this. I'm trying to experiment with my laptop by setting up a tier 1 hypervisor directly on it.
So i installed proxmox and tried apt-update && apt-upgrade, but realize or i think the problem lies in network connection primarily with default gateway ip

### Context:

When I am in the Proxmox Debian (root) directory, I tried to ping 8.8.8.8 to connect to Google so I could use Proxmox on the same device instead of switching to another screen. To find a solution, I also tried pinging the default gateway IP of my network, but it was unreachable. However, I was able to ping my own IP and the DNS server IP.

### Question:
To even test pinging, do I need my laptop to be connected through Ethernet, or will setting the DNS server IP, a static IP for the laptop, and the default gateway of the network take care of that?

- If no, I'll connect through Ethernet and come back!
- If yes, what should I do next? I've set everything up by looking at multiple forums.

Hi,

apt-update && apt-upgrade,
Please always use apt update && apt dist-upgrade instead of apt upgrade
Could you please share the with us the network configuration? `cat /etc/network/interfaces` and `cat /etc/hosts` and `ip a`

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!