cache=none or cache=Write Back.

fusion

Nov 4, 2015
Spain
Hello ,

I have installed Proxmox with ZFS RAID Z1.

I have a doubt.

In a KVM Virtio, always use VirtIO = Write Back.

But doing tests, I see Default(no cache). It is much faster write speed.

test: dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

cache: none = 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.813185 s, 1.3 GB/s
cache:Write Back = 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.37712 s, 452 MB/s

It is normal? I have to use cache: none? or better another config?

Thank you.

With e.g. fio. @mir posted a working configuration on various occasions. You'll use it with a test file on a ZFS filesystem or directly on a zvol.

Could you share some numbers from your extensive testing?

Because the test results I saw point to cache=writeback being the winner, even on ZFS:
http://jrs-s.net/2013/05/17/kvm-io-benchmarking/
First, the benchmark you refer to is 3 years old.
Second, all tests is done exclusively using Windows guests.
Third, the benchmarker is referring to cache = none and cache = nocache as 2 separate things. This is wrong, cache = none and cache = nocache is the same.
Forth, He clams ZFS does not support DirectIO which is completely wrong.

My numbers was made some while ago so I cannot produce the numbers here since I did not save them. Apart from that my setup is exclusively ZFS over iSCSI which might behave different from ZFS as local filesystem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!