Build proxmox-backup-client on aarch64

Zappy

Mar 30, 2022
I am trying to build the pb client on aarch64 and i am having some depency issue :

Bash:
$ sudo mk-build-deps -ir
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 2.3.1-1
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution unstable
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Equivs Dummy Package Generator <root@sylvia>
dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture arm64
 dpkg-source --before-build .
 debian/rules clean
dh clean
   dh_clean
 debian/rules binary
dh binary
   dh_update_autotools_config
   dh_autoreconf
   create-stamp debian/debhelper-build-stamp
   dh_prep
   dh_auto_install --destdir=debian/rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps/
   dh_install
   dh_installdocs
   dh_installchangelogs
   dh_perl
   dh_link
   dh_strip_nondeterminism
   dh_compress
   dh_fixperms
   dh_missing
   dh_installdeb
   dh_gencontrol
   dh_md5sums
   dh_builddeb
dpkg-deb: building package 'rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps' in '../rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps_2.3.1-1_all.deb'.
 dpkg-genbuildinfo --build=binary -O../rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps_2.3.1-1_arm64.buildinfo
 dpkg-genchanges --build=binary -O../rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps_2.3.1-1_arm64.changes
dpkg-genchanges: info: binary-only upload (no source code included)
 dpkg-source --after-build .
dpkg-buildpackage: info: binary-only upload (no source included)

The package has been created.
Attention, the package has been created in the current directory,
not in ".." as indicated by the message above!
Selecting previously unselected package rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps.
(Reading database ... 149649 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps_2.3.1-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps (2.3.1-1) ...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies...Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Investigating (0) rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps:arm64 < 2.3.1-1 @iU K Nb Ib >
Broken rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps:arm64 Depends on librust-apt-pkg-native-0.3+default-dev:arm64 < none @un H > (>= 0.3.2-~~)
  Removing rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps:arm64 because I can't find librust-apt-pkg-native-0.3+default-dev:arm64
Done
 Done
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  rust-proxmox-backup-build-deps
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 10.2 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

let me know if i am missing anything

you need the equivalent of our devel repo for arm64, the source for that is mainly https://git.proxmox.com/?p=debcargo-conf.git and the other repositories from the rust section of our git repositories. but you also need a recent enough toolchain (rustc/cargo/debcargo).

alternatively, if you just want to build the client binary, you could replace the proxmox dependencies with path dependencies, and use the rest from crates.io and just run `cargo build --release --bin proxmox-backup-client`, similar to what happens in AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/proxmox-backup-client

Having a look at this now with makedeb since I am after the client binary for an aarch64 host.

Getting issues with it failing to find OpenSSL development headers :/ pkgbuildand libssl-dev already available.

Bash:
 --- stderr
  thread 'main' panicked at /home/ubuntu/.cargo/registry/src/index.crates.io-6f17d22bba15001f/openssl-sys-0.9.102/build/main.rs:188:13:

Header expansion error:
  Error { kind: ToolExecError, message: "Command \"cc\" \"-O3\" \"-ffunction-sections\" \"-fdata-sections\" \"-fPIC\" \"-march=x86-64\" \"-mtune=generic\" \"-O2\" \"-pipe\" \"-fno-plt\" \"-fexceptions\" \"-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2\" \"-Wformat\" \"-Werror=format-security\" \"-fstack-clash-protection\" \"-fcf-protection\" \"-I\" \"/usr/include\" \"-E\" \"build/expando.c\" with args cc did not execute successfully (status code exit status: 1)." }

Failed to find OpenSSL development headers.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!