BTRFS with 2 Disks

masteryoda

Jun 28, 2020
Just installed 2 2TB disks and want to know if how do i add these 2 disks as BTRFS for storage in Proxmox VE. I want to use BTRFS to create a storage for storing backups and ISOs

Running Proxmox 8.0

BTRFS support is still experimental. IMHO isn't any better than ZFS, so I suggest you use a ZFS RAID1 instead, which is fully supported on Proxmox.
thanks, but i',m not able to select the ZFS storage as a destination for ISOs etc.

Sorry, my brain didn't read that part. You can do it with the help of the "directoy" type of storage, albeit it requires using CLI:

- Create the ZFS zpool as a mirror using the WebUI with the two disks. Lets say you call it "zpool01". Don't tick "Add as storage" as you will not use it to store VMs/CTs.

- Create a ZFS dataset on zpool01:
Code:
zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o acltype=posixacl -o xattr=sa -o atime=on -o relatime=on zpool01/Backups_ISO

- From the WebUI, datacenter, storage, add a new "Directory" storage. Name it "Backups_ISO" and the directory should be "/zpool01/Backups_ISO". Rmember to select just "ISO images" and "VZDump backup files" on content.

Reactions: masteryoda
Sorry, my brain didn't read that part. You can do it with the help of the "directoy" type of storage, albeit it requires using CLI:

- Create the ZFS zpool as a mirror using the WebUI with the two disks. Lets say you call it "zpool01". Don't tick "Add as storage" as you will not use it to store VMs/CTs.

- Create a ZFS dataset on zpool01:
Code:
zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o acltype=posixacl -o xattr=sa -o atime=on -o relatime=on zpool01/Backups_ISO

- From the WebUI, datacenter, storage, add a new "Directory" storage. Name it "Backups_ISO" and the directory should be "/zpool01/Backups_ISO". Rmember to select just "ISO images" and "VZDump backup files" on content.
Thank you so much.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!