Browser Certificate - Apology for Asking

GregoInc

Jul 25, 2022
Hello,

I am embarrassed asking this... but having tried for a long time and having read loads of sites and posts I am no closer.

I have the usual browser is not secure when accessing my Proxmox server...
1659140970617.png
My setup... I use Kubuntu 22.04 as my PC with Brave Browser.

I've read this page... https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Certificate_Management and have managed to copy the pve-www.key and pve-root-ca.pem files from the Proxmox server to the /home/<username>/.ssh directory my Kubuntu workstation.

I also read this page... https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Import_certificate_in_browser but it only talks about Windows, and it doesn't cover Linux.

I also read this page... https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-ssh-keys-on-ubuntu-22-04 and attempted to import into Proxmox, but the files are .key not .pem, so I tried converting them but no luck. Generating and using my own keys would be my preference as this is what I typically do on my Linux hosts. But I am happy to do anything right now to get it working.

Here's the screen capture from when I try and upload a custom certificate... (I am using this certificate for other access and it works fine)
1659147515493.png
I apologise for asking as I am sure it will be a simple fix... and related to my lack of knowledge. All I need is a nudge in the right direction, be that a web page or documentation.

Thanks, Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: timejunkie
So I managed to upload my own self signed cert to the Proxmox server... I assume that is a good thing?

1659150685941.png

So now all I need to do is have my browser on the Kubuntu workstation have the key installed? I think?

Attachments

• 1659150570827.png
    1659150570827.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 6
I know my question above is probably annoying, and I should just work it out. Unfortunately I am genuinely stuck... and I just need a nudge in the right direction. We all have to start somewhere. I will go to some other server forums and see if there's any advice.

Hello Greg. Wow it has been nearly a year since you posted this and nobody answered! I am following the steps listed online, but in Windows 11, (downloading the cert via SSH from the server and installing it) but nothing has worked! It always says the connection is not secure. I have installed the cert under internet options, the cert manager for Microsoft Edge, and the cert manager for Firefox, under various folders. Let me know if you were able to get it to work!

Hello Greg. Wow it has been nearly a year since you posted this and nobody answered! I am following the steps listed online, but in Windows 11, (downloading the cert via SSH from the server and installing it) but nothing has worked! It always says the connection is not secure. I have installed the cert under internet options, the cert manager for Microsoft Edge, and the cert manager for Firefox, under various folders. Let me know if you were able to get it to work!
Hey there... yes, has been a while.

My experience on the proxmox forum hasn't been great, so most of the time I ask my questions on other forums/boards. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling the regular users of this forum have low patience with people that are new to proxmox. This includes the folks that are paying for support at times not appearing to be welcoming of non-paying people asking questions. :(

I've had a few rays of sunshine (like yours) which does give me hope that my 'new guy' questions on here sometimes get's some good feedback. Often I just need a bit of guidance and I am good to go... but I know my initial questions can be low level, and can frustrate some of the experts.:)

To answer your question... I gave up. Mind you, proxmox is not the only platform I struggle with when it comes to certificates. I suspect my whole approach to certificates needs a rethink, but time and knowledge are my enemy right now.

One day perhaps I'll find a good tutorial on best practice when establishing certificates on a home network.;)

to answer to you your question
1. they have patients and i experienced it very helpfully, payed or non payed.
2. if they dont help you, they havent seen your post. sometimes it happens that so many posts was created that your post goes down, and if your post is on the third page, the changes are good, nobody sees it. just go in your post, write anything lie "any updates" and the post goes back to the first place - i did it a couple of times, and got fast response
3. the cert from your browser in your OS has nothing to do with the Proxmox cert. you install the cert on proxmox and the browser just presents the result - secured or non secured
4. you dont have a valid domain name on your Proxmox. or DNS issue otherwise you could use acme
5. if you cant use acme, you need to create your own certs. there are tons of guides how to create a webserver cert.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!