Broken cluster

timmy

Dec 15, 2010
Hi,

I had a 2 host cluster setup and working. I wanted to change the cluster to use my LAN IPs (was using my WAN nic I think). Long story short, I thought it would be a good idea to delete the cluster and start again.. but it went wrong and now im stuck.

I went to host1 and deleted host2. I then also deleted /etc/pve/cluster.conf and then tried to create a new cluster with pvecm create xxx.

It didnt work. I tried rebooting the systems and now I cant do anything.

cman (corosync) is not running. It wont start.
# /etc/init.d/cman start
Starting cluster:
Checking if cluster has been disabled at boot... [ OK ]
Checking Network Manager... [ OK ]
Global setup... [ OK ]
Loading kernel modules... [ OK ]
Mounting configfs... [ OK ]
Starting cman... Cannot find node name in cluster.conf
Unable to get the configuration
Cannot find node name in cluster.conf
cman_tool: corosync daemon didn't start Check cluster logs for details
[FAILED]

The clustered file system isnt working correctly. I cant edit or delete clustered files. I believe this may be because I dont have "quorum" .. but thats impossible as there is now only 1 node.

tail /var/log/syslog -n 20
May 9 12:40:25 host11 pmxcfs[2956]: [dcdb] crit: cpg_initialize failed: 6
May 9 12:40:31 host11 pmxcfs[2956]: [quorum] crit: quorum_initialize failed: 6
May 9 12:40:31 host11 pmxcfs[2956]: [confdb] crit: confdb_initialize failed: 6
May 9 12:40:31 host11 pmxcfs[2956]: [dcdb] crit: cpg_initialize failed: 6
May 9 12:40:31 host11 pmxcfs[2956]: [dcdb] crit: cpg_initialize failed: 6
May 9 12:40:33 host11 pmxcfs[2956]: [status] crit: cpg_send_message failed: 9
May 9 12:40:36 host11 pvedaemon[1672]: <root@pam> successful auth for user 'root@pam'
May 9 12:40:36 host11 pmxcfs[2956]: [status] crit: cpg_send_message failed: 9
May 9 12:40:36 host11 pmxcfs[2956]: [status] crit: cpg_send_message failed: 9

My /etc/pve/cluster.conf (note i cant edit this file or create a .new one)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster name="TME2" config_version="1">

<cman keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey">
</cman>

<clusternodes>
<clusternode name="host11" votes="1" nodeid="1"/>
</clusternodes>

</cluster>

How can I reset the cluster?

Thanks

btw, I have purchased support subscription.. how do i link this to my forum account ??

Changing IP or hostnames is not the best idea. do not do this.

if you have no quorum, you can set the expected votes to 1. then you should have quorum on one node also.

> pvecm e 1

if you do changes in /etc/pve/cluster.conf, make sure you increase the config_version number with each edit.

if you changed hostname or IP, also make sure that you have the right entries in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname

Hi Tom,

I have the community support package (forum only). Do I need to link this in some way to my post/account on forum ?

no, currently we have no such functionality.

Oh, so sales were not telling me the truth I guess.

They told me before I purchased it that I would get priority service with a community subscription.

[Me]
Does "Proxmox VE Community Support Subscription 12 Months"offer any "advantage" at all? except supporting the project? It sounds like it only includes forum support, which is free anyway.

[Martin Maurer]
I assume you get this page already, describing the included value?
http://www.proxmox.com/products/proxmox-ve/subscription-service-plans

The community forum is fully moderated by our staff. And of course, questions from subscribers have higher priority.
Also, you get a subscription number which you can upload to yourProxmox VE host, enables links to our support pages and in future additional functionality.

There are also no additional links or anything on my control panel.. just as a note.

It is effectivly only a donation isnt it and gives you nothing "extra". I wouldnt have been annoyed about this at all except that I was mislead when directly asking. :/

Oh, so sales were not telling me the truth I guess.

They told me before I purchased it that I would get priority service with a community subscription.

do you realize that I answered within one hour? what reaction time do you expect?

There are also no additional links or anything on my control panel.. just as a note.

It is effectivly only a donation isnt it and gives you nothing "extra". I wouldnt have been annoyed about this at all except that I was mislead when directly asking. :/

you need to upload the subscription key to your server.
http://shop.maurer-it.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=4

Just to note:

You bought a subscription for one host, but you run a cluster with two hosts.

Re-hello to everyone!
I red this topic few times with attention: http://forum.proxmox.com/archive/index.php/t-8592.html and also RH doc's about quorum. And now, I want to know what I should do to restore normal proxmox functionality. Can I able reconfigure garbage cluster configs with existing two nodes (HA don't needed) or I should reinstall whole system and restore my VM's backups? Or how I should set up quorum with two nodes using qdiskd or something else?
The main problem is unavailability to start up one of the KVM machines and to do daily backup jobs; but is not a cluster set-up, nor HA.
Thanks in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!