[SOLVED] bridge can't be found and VM failed to start

ibigbug

Jan 10, 2020
Hi community,

I'm facing an issue that VMs failed to boot due to bridge not found.

Here is the error message

bridge 'vmbr1' does not exist
kvm: network script /var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge failed with status 512
TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 107 -name pfsense -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/107.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -chardev 'socket,id=qmp-event,path=/var/run/qmeventd.sock,reconnect=5' -mon 'chardev=qmp-event,mode=control' -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/107.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=47b03ebe-2e7d-40c7-91fa-188de1e77b29' -drive 'if=pflash,unit=0,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/pve-edk2-firmware//OVMF_CODE.fd' -drive 'if=pflash,unit=1,format=raw,id=drive-efidisk0,file=/dev/pve/vm-107-disk-2' -smp '1,sockets=1,cores=1,maxcpus=1' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/107.vnc,password -cpu kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,enforce -m 1024 -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f' -device 'vmgenid,guid=8fa9472d-69c4-404b-bd2a-b2de7a5a1111' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -device 'VGA,id=vga,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2' -chardev 'socket,path=/var/run/qemu-server/107.qga,server,nowait,id=qga0' -device 'virtio-serial,id=qga0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8' -device 'virtserialport,chardev=qga0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:2f95b7f3114' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/pfSense-CE-2.4.4-RELEASE-p3-amd64.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=threads' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -device 'virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsihw0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5' -drive 'file=/dev/pve/vm-107-disk-0,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap107i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=56:10:26:4B:75:B4,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net1,ifname=tap107i1,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown' -device 'e1000,mac=E2:DF:AD:DA:24:89,netdev=net1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x13,id=net1,bootindex=301' -machine 'type=pc+pve1'' failed: exit code 1

And here is my config

root@pve:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno3 inet manual

iface enp3s0f0 inet manual

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

iface enp3s0f1 inet manual

iface eno4 inet manual

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.0.0.5
netmask 24
gateway 10.0.0.1
bridge-ports eno3
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094
#wan

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports none
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094
#pfsense lan

I also noticed that every time I applied the network configuration change, all the VMs will lose connection. I have to reboot them or the PVE host to bring them back.

Any ideas about this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply and the links.

I just realized that the bridge didn't show up via `ip link show`

I'm reading the docs and not sure if it's due to no bridge_ports was assigned to the bridge.

For the context, my original need was to create a "virtual" NIC without any physical NIC involved for the VMs, may I ask one more question, is using bridge the correct way to archive this?

Thanks,

Thanks for pointing the direction.

Found the interface is down and the error message in the log

`Jan 10 18:51:22 pve networking[1974]: error: ignoring interface vmbr1. Only one object with attribute 'bridge-vlan-aware
yes' allowed.`

Though not understanding the logic behind it, unchecking the VLAN aware option brought it back up.

Thanks.

And again.. Applying network configuration change made all of the VMs lot connection, had to reboot the machine to bring them back. borrowing this thread, is that an known issue?

>> Only one object with attribute 'bridge-vlan-aware yes' allowed.`

Do you have installed ifupdown2 ? (proxmox5 ? proxmox6 ?)
if yes, which version ?

/etc/network/ifupdown2/ifupdown2.conf
multiple_vlan_aware_bridge_support=1

Reactions: ibigbug
>> Only one object with attribute 'bridge-vlan-aware yes' allowed.`

Do you have installed ifupdown2 ? (proxmox5 ? proxmox6 ?)
if yes, which version ?

/etc/network/ifupdown2/ifupdown2.conf
multiple_vlan_aware_bridge_support=1

This fixed the VLAN aware issue. Thanks!

(And again another round of server reboot after losing all of the VMs..)

The version is Virtual Environment 6.1-3. May I know more about the bug?

do you have installed ifupdown2 recently ?
dpkg -l|grep ifupdown2

because multiple_vlan_aware_bridge_support should be = 1 by default

(the "bug" is that some options was missing in the config file)

do you have installed ifupdown2 recently ?
dpkg -l|grep ifupdown2

because multiple_vlan_aware_bridge_support should be = 1 by default

(the "bug" is that some options was missing in the config file)

yes recently

root@pve:~# dpkg -l|grep ifupdown2
ii ifupdown2 1.2.5-1 all Network Interface
Management tool similar to ifupdown

is any of them related to the networking lose issue?

>>root@pve:~# dpkg -l|grep ifupdown2
>>ii ifupdown2 1.2.5-1 all Network Interface
>>Management tool similar to ifupdown

ok, you have installed ifupdown2 from the debian repo, not the proxmox repo ...
proxmox repo version is "1.2.8-1+pve1".

do you use enteprise repo? if you don't have any license, you need to configure the no subscription repository
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories#sysadmin_enterprise_repo

>>is any of them related to the networking lose issue?
when do you lose networking ?
with ifupdown2 package from debian, you can loose network of vms when your reload the networkconfiguration. (vms interfaces are detached from the bridge). the ifupdown2 proxmox version have a special fix for this.

Reactions: ibigbug
>>root@pve:~# dpkg -l|grep ifupdown2
>>ii ifupdown2 1.2.5-1 all Network Interface
>>Management tool similar to ifupdown

ok, you have installed ifupdown2 from the debian repo, not the proxmox repo ...
proxmox repo version is "1.2.8-1+pve1".

do you use enteprise repo? if you don't have any license, you need to configure the no subscription repository
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories#sysadmin_enterprise_repo

>>is any of them related to the networking lose issue?
when do you lose networking ?
with ifupdown2 package from debian, you can loose network of vms when your reload the networkconfiguration. (vms interfaces are detached from the bridge). the ifupdown2 proxmox version have a special fix for this.

I added proxmox repo and installed ifupdown2 from there:

Bash:
root@pve:~# dpkg -l|grep ifupdown2
ii  ifupdown2                            1.2.8-1+pve4                                    all          Network Interface Management tool similar to ifupdown

Now there is no issues and the networking will keep working after applying the networking configuration.

Thanks for the time and kindness!

Was having the an issue with the Failed to start Raise network interfaces when using bridge_vlan_aware

Bash:
#This interface bridge is trunking with my Cisco Switch 801.2Q dot1q with Vlan 1 native.

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 192.168.100.2/24
        gateway 192.168.100.1
        bridge-ports eno2
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 1-4094

Oct 31 17:15:40 microservergen8 systemd[1]: Starting Raise network interfaces...
Oct 31 17:15:40 microservergen8 ifup[5039]: Waiting for vmbr1 to get ready (MAXWAIT is 2 seconds).
Oct 31 17:15:40 microservergen8 ifup[5039]: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Oct 31 17:15:40 microservergen8 ifup[5039]: ifup: failed to bring up vmbr1
Oct 31 17:15:41 microservergen8 systemd[1]: networking.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 31 17:15:41 microservergen8 systemd[1]: networking.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 31 17:15:41 microservergen8 systemd[1]: Failed to start Raise network interfaces

After installing ifupdown2 on my proxmox 6.2-15 it solved this issue.

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited:
Hi,

I ran into this error as well.

So I tried to install ifupdown2. But the installation did not succeed - luckily - and I was warned that I was trying to remove proxmox ve (and if I actually wanted to do that, I should touch some file; but of course I don't want to remove proxmox). And it was trying to install the 1.2.5 version - so I take it, it was going to install from the standard debian repo.

So I added the pve-no-subscription to my sources.list but the same warning came back. Apparently I made a mistake somewhere. Or do I need to still specify that I want to install ifupdown2 from the proxmox repo although it this report is now in the list (and although the ifupdown2 version from the proxmox repo has the higher version number (1.2.8) compared to the one in the debian repo (1.2.5))?

Any help appreciated!

Hi
need help
VM no start
Here is the error message
kvm: -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap101i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown: network script /var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge failed with status 256
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!