brand new install -- networking not working on reboot

I'm using a z490 board with I225-v lan port. Works well as soon as I do a systemctl restart networking.service. No idea why it won't come up at boot.
Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same issue with the same hardware. Could it be something with the I225? Even when I get it working network passthrough to my VM guests fails (Windows guest sees VirtIO Ethernet, gets an IP address that looks correct, can connect to the host, but can’t connect to the internet or anything else on the network).

Last edited:
Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same issue with the same hardware. Could it be something with the I225? Even when I get it working network passthrough to my VM guests fails (Windows guest sees VirtIO Ethernet, gets an IP address that looks correct, can connect to the host, but can’t connect to the internet or anything else on the network).

no, never solved. The last suggestion I got was that maybe I needed to compile a new version of igc

igc is the network driver used for I225-v. I'm looking right now at trying to compile up a new one.

igc is the network driver used for I225-v. I'm looking right now at trying to compile up a new one.
Cool! Keep me posted, I’m very inexperienced with kernel-related issues but will keep looking into it as well.

we may be out of luck. pve will be on 5.4 kernel for quite some time and right now I don't know of a way to update the kernel to 5.8. I'm exploring other options.

cool -- let me know if you get it running. I don't have time to look into it right now.

My solution was to install Debian, then ProxMox on top of Debian.

how did that work? I tried to install Debian 10.5 but it didn't have igc support out of the box. At least I couldn't pick it in the installer. Did you a newer kernel on there somehow? And are you using i225-v?

Why is such a popular mass-market NIC in like half of Intel’s MoBos built in the last year so horribly supported? I’ve spent the last four hours trying to figure out how to backport igc and it seems like almost nobody has bothered using this NIC with Linux. Even Intel’s official driver packs don’t include IGC!

Proxmox Devs: Is the kernel you’re using right now a modified Debian backport? Could I install one of those to fix this issue or would it break my install?

Last edited:
Great. I was going to try another method of installing the driver but I ran an apt full-upgrade after adding the Proxmox no-subscription repo. It updated my kernel to 5.4.65 and now the server won’t boot unless I boot with the old kernel in advanced options. However, attempting to remove the kernel warns me the meta package proxmox-ve would be uninstalled as well if I did that.

Why is such a popular mass-market NIC in like half of Intel’s MoBos built in the last year so horribly supported? I’ve spent the last four hours trying to figure out how to backport igc and it seems like almost nobody has bothered using this NIC with Linux. Even Intel’s official driver packs don’t include IGC!

Proxmox Devs: Is the kernel you’re using right now a modified Debian backport? Could I install one of those to fix this issue or would it break my install?

Correct. This NIC is on many boards and to have something so completely broken is just bad. I've been trying for weeks to get this working and no one has been able to help me.

Correct. This NIC is on many boards and to have something so completely broken is just bad. I've been trying for weeks to get this working and no one has been able to help me.
I want to just update to the latest mainline Ubuntu/POP kernel on my Proxmox install but I don’t know enough about Linux to tell whether that will break compatibility with everything. Do you know whether this is possible? It seems nobody has bothered to backport igc and the absolute latest bleeding edge version of kernel 5.4 only has igc changes up to November 2019 (there were massive changes throughout this year in mainline).

yes you have the pve kernel installed (note the -pve at the end of the version for indication)

so it does seem to be an installer issue
@oguz, is it possible to update to the latest kernel without breaking things? It seems like there’s no other option to get our NIC working,

Also, why the heck does it seem like the installer’s able to communicate just fine without unplugging the cable and plugging it back in after boot (like we have to after install?)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!