Booting from USB painfully slow

ncx

Jul 3, 2024
Hello,

I recently installed Proxmox on a USB 3.2 Gen 2 stick (Kingston DataTraveler Max). The USB is rated for 1000/900 MB/s. I noticed that booting off the USB takes a long time to fully load the kernel and the initrd. Loading the kernel takes about a minute and "Loading initial ramdisk ..." takes about 2-3 minutes. Why is it so slow? I know it is not so recommended to run Proxmox off a USB drive but anyway, I need to know why it takes so much time to load the kernel and the initrd on such a fast USB disk. Once they are fully loaded, systemd boots very quickly and VMs performance is great. Is there a way to speed up the boot process so I can utilize my USB speed properly?

Code:
# systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 3.416s (kernel) + 19.734s (userspace) = 23.150s
graphical.target reached after 19.714s in userspace.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!