Boot issue with KVM VM with UEFI

Saldru

Oct 7, 2020
Metz, France
www.salnet.wf
Hi everyone,

I'm facing a weird issue with my Proxmox VE server. I think it appeared after some system updates. I created a KVM template VM of a Debian 10.6 image with UEFI enabled and Cloud-Init. For some times, I took the template VM, I made a Full Clone of the VM, I modified the hardware and the IP parameters in Cloud-Init then I started the cloned VM and everything worked fine. 2 days ago, I wanted to create a new service so I did the same steps and when I wanted to start the new cloned VM, I opened a noVNC console to see the screen output and I saw the message "Guest has not initialized the display (yet)." it stayed on this screen for like 10s. It was not doing that before. Then OVMF initalize and after that, it fail to boot and I fall in the EFI Shell. (See capture.png). I rebooted the VM and nothing changed. I retried to clone a new VM with a full clone but no changes. Then I tried to clone the VM as Linked Clone and this time, no delay of "Guest has not initialized the display" and the VM was booting normally with no issue.
I don't know why it don't work anymore. Sounds like OVMF is not able to find the EFI partition on scsi0 but why it works in Linked Clone and not in Full Clone.

Please see my server version : https://paste.alt.tf/da1fe3

If someone can help me.
Thank for your your time :)
Saldru

Attachments

• capture.png
    capture.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hi,

please update to the current version and test again.

Hi @wolfgang,

thank you for your answer. I'm maintaining my PVE servers up-to-date but unfortunately nothing changed. So, I deleted the template a created a new one from scratch and now it works fine. I don't know what happened.

Hi,

I have same issue. No public information on how to resolve this. VM has cloudinit, latest proxmox 6. Linked clones work ok - full clones, even to a qcow image (from lvm-thin) result in uefi shell. How can this be resolved? I don't have the luxury to build the template from scratch :(

Found an issue - apparently EFI disk is broken after cloning. I have to use the shell to manually run grub and reboot and everything works perfectly. How I have UEFI!
Detailed steps:
  • allow the vm to drop into EFI shell
  • type 'fs0:<enter>' (without quotes, remember the colon - also its fS0, not fd0 's', not 'd') - this will drop you to efi device
  • cd EFI
  • cd <distro_name><enter> example: cd debian or cd kali
  • grubx64.efi<enter>
The system should boot fine. When it boots check your boot partition with df | grep boot and run: grub-install /dev/sdX where /dev/sdX is your boot partition. Rebooting should go fine after this. Whew!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!