bond on local lan, transfer speed only 1gbps

openaspace

Sep 16, 2019
Italy
Hello i have created a bridged bond, a container provide samba access to file but
the trhoughtput remain within 1gbps..

Where i'm wrong?

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno2
iface eno2 inet manual

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves eno1 eno2
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode balance-xor
        bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.20.20/24
        gateway 192.168.20.1
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Hello,

any type of link aggregation still has the requirement that a single transfer session will always go through the same link interface. So while the total transfer speed (over all sessions) will be 2 GBits, any single session will max out at the link speed of one interface.

A session is defined by the hash-policy bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2.

In your case (Layer2) that means that the total bandwidth of several VMs is 2Gbit, but any single VM can only transfer a maximum of 1Gbit.

See also:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/use-a-bond-as-bridge-port.114256/#post-494083

Kind regards,
Benedikt

Reactions: openaspace
Hello,

any type of link aggregation still has the requirement that a single transfer session will always go through the same link interface. So while the total transfer speed (over all sessions) will be 2 GBits, any single session will max out at the link speed of one interface.

A session is defined by the hash-policy bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2.

In your case (Layer2) that means that the total bandwidth of several VMs is 2Gbit, but any single VM can only transfer a maximum of 1Gbit.

See also:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/use-a-bond-as-bridge-port.114256/#post-494083

Kind regards,
Benedikt
Thank you.
In my specific case therefore,I can works with samba share directly on proxmox and I will obtain the full 2gbps bandwidth?

Thank you.
In my specific case therefore,I can works with samba share directly on proxmox and I will obtain the full 2gbps bandwidth?
No, since you are using Layer2 hashing it means that you can only get more than 1Gbit if the traffic involves different source and/or destination MAC addresses.

The only way it might work is by using the Layer3+4 hashing policy, this divides sessions by IP and TCP/UDP ports. But whether this works depends on the program. (for example, it works for CEPH because every OSD comes with a different process and therefore each OSD establishes connection via a different source port).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!