Use a bond as bridge port

Maher Khalil

Jul 11, 2021
Hello
I created bon for 2 uplinks to get double speed of internet but I am getting speed of 1 link only.
switch set for link aggregation LACP
Can any one tell me what is wrong?
=================================================================================> settings (replace bridge IP with my IPs)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves eno1 eno2
bond-miimon 100
bond-mode 802.3ad
bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.10.10.2/24
gateway 10.10.10.1
bridge-ports bond0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
=================================================================================================>

Your expectation is wrong ;-)

A bond doesn´t give you double the speed, it gives you two "lanes" with the same (max) speed (with redundancy/failover). Similar to a highway an extra lane doesn´t mean there is a higher speed (for a single car) but you can handle double the amount of cars in the same time.

Reactions: Dunuin
So, is there any way to double the speed since I have 4 ports on the server and I want to double the speed?

For more speed you can use Balance-rr mode.

Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves eno1 eno2
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode balance-rr

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        hwaddress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        address 192.168.1.150/24
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

LACP does give you more speed overall, but there is the rule that one session must always go through only one link.

A session is defined by the Hash policy you configure in the bond settings. In your example it is set to bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3, so sessions are defined by MAC adresses (layer2) and IP adresses (layer3).

This means that packets from the same Source-MAC/Source-IP to the same Destination-MAC/Destination-IP will always transfer though the same link and thus have the speed of one link.

Reactions: Neobin and guletz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!