BMAX B5 Pro Home Lab setup

nomadmike

Oct 20, 2022
Thialand
I have just ordered the BMAX B5 Pro, which comes with a 512Gb M.2 and 1Tb SSD, for the installation should I use the M.2 drive or the SSD.

My understanding is Proxmox would not benefit from the M.2 drive, but the VM's and containers would.

Hi,

You can install Proxmox on the SSD and, given that it has 1TB of storage, you can install VMs on the SSD as well. So you could, for example, use the NVME for VMs that need the data throughput and the SSD for VMs that need more storage.
So yes, installing Proxmox on the SSD makes sense (but really the answer also depends on your usecases and the NVME/SSD type).

I would use the 512GB NVMe for both, PVE OS and VM/LXC storage, and then use the 1TB SATA SSD as a PBS datastore for your backups. SSDs are consumables that will die sooner or later (months or years of use depending on the workload) and you got no raid1 to not lose data when they die. So its a good idea to at least have some recent backups.

Reactions: nomadmike and noel.
Thanks, sounds like a good plan, most of the VM's or containers would be pretty small, mainly Linux based and backups are important.

The nvm speeds were better than the SSD, so I have used the suggestion from @Dunuin setup the SSD for backups, I have also added a SMB/CIFS to my desktop machine to store duplicate backups.

thanks for the help!

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!