blank page instead of Web GUI

grasp

Aug 3, 2016
Hello,

after vacation Web GUI shows only a blank page in Firefox 48.0.2 and Internet Explorer 11.545.10586.0.
First I checked that Firefox and IE are not blocking anything on the page. I allowed add-ons and pop-ups from the address of the PVE-Host.

As it did not help, I stopped all vms (which were accessible through VNC and SSH) and restarted pveproxy and pvedeamon, but no success.

Then I rebooted the host and still no success. The vms are running again (started via cli) but Web GUI still shows a blank page.

The output of pveversion -v is:
proxmox-ve: 4.2-48 (running kernel: 4.4.6-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.2-2 (running version: 4.2-2/725d76f0)
pve-kernel-4.4.6-1-pve: 4.4.6-48
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2
corosync-pve: 2.4.0-1
libqb0: 1.0-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-43
qemu-server: 4.0-85
pve-firmware: 1.1-8
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-71
libpve-access-control: 4.0-18
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-56
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-1
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.6-1
pve-container: 1.0-71
pve-firewall: 2.0-29
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-33
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u2
lxc-pve: 1.1.5-7
lxcfs: 2.0.0-pve2
cgmanager: 0.39-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1
zfsutils: 0.6.5.7-pve10~bpo80

It is a standalone host using only KVM machines.

Can you tell me please, what can I try or check next?

please update your host, clear your browser cache and try again

The problem was caused by removing the "no subsrciption" message. After undoing the changes it worked again.

We edited

/usr/share/pve-manager/ext4/pvemanagerlib.js

and on line 519 or 510 of the file - however it may change with future updates - there is a line similar to below;

we replaced the correct code: "if (data.status !== 'Active') {"
with this code: "if (false) {"

Afterwards it stopped working. Changing it back to the correct code resolved the problem. If you changed it too, maybe you have a backup version of the file.

Updates also may update the file so it may help to just update it. If you did not back up the file you can try to get it from the CD or from a new installation of the same version on another machine.

This was the issue in our case. In your case the cause may be different.

Edit: only grammar

Last edited:
Hello,

I have been struggling with this issue since upgrading one of our PVE hosts last week. After the upgrade I was unable to connect to the webui from any browser on my laptop. I use Chrome mainly but FF and IE didn't work either. I was concerned that something had gotten screwed up with the host upgrade and put off upgrading the last host until I knew what was broken.

This problem didn't seem to have any negative effect on the VMs on the host and I could SSH in as usual.

I tried connecting from a different computer and it worked normally. Today, after clearing out every browser cache I could think of and finally uninstalling FF and Chrome (big PITA since I don't remember any of my passwords) the problem still persisted, with one caveat. I was on one occasion able to sign in but much of the GUI was missing (the various icons) and after I tried signing out then back in, I was not able to sign in at all. It said the password was wrong. It wasn't.

Eventually, I resorted to changing my IP address (which is assigned by DHCP). I found a way to force my Windows 10 laptop to take a fresh IP.

Code:
ipconfig /release
net stop dhcp
net start dhcp
ipconfig /renew

Once I got a different IP the problem went away. FWIW, I was unable to find anything at all in the syslog other than a few instances of one of the adapters resetting, which might be a complete coincidence.

Code:
root@pve-1:~# dmesg | tail
[   51.228278] device tap306i0 entered promiscuous mode
[   51.235537] vmbr0: port 7(tap306i0) entered blocking state
[   51.235539] vmbr0: port 7(tap306i0) entered disabled state
[   51.235686] vmbr0: port 7(tap306i0) entered blocking state
[   51.235687] vmbr0: port 7(tap306i0) entered forwarding state

I don't know what is going on but it seems like this is a problem for a large number of PVE users and isn't specific to this particular version of PVE. I don't find any mention of changing one's IP so I thought I would add in my 2 cents.

@Gurn_Blanston is it possible that the time on your client/server was/is wrong ? and that renewing the dhcp information also triggered windows to renew the time?

Thank you for your attention dcsapak.

I did a dhcp release renew without changing IP without any success. Also, I was able to connect to the other two hosts in the cluster via the webui.

So far the hosts seem to keep reliable time via NTP as does my laptop.

The problem arose when I rebooted the host after upgrading a week ago. I don’t recall the specific version we upgraded from but we were already on pve 5. I can provide better detail next week when I am back in the office.

Sincerely,
GB

Similar "issue" here. I just shut down my system to get it back into the rack (after hypervisor migration, hardware maintenance, no real 19" equipment and no rails).
It seems I am having an issue with the bond configuration, because after I have pulled the cable from one interface it worked again.
The system has been running on only one interface during maintenance, so I have no idea if it every worked.
Have not messed with the "no subscription message" ;).

and some years later I am facing this same issue. Even after restore the backup of the file I couldn't make proxmox GUI run again.
Any new ideas of where to check? I have just performed the same change in the same line as you did and GUI is not available anymore...

Frankly I'm shocked about this attitude. We are in an official Proxmox forum, it's GPL code so everyone can modify it BUT it's at least, let's say, "unpolite" to post here how remove a nag that simply reminder that the development costs and you can contribute at least with a basic, cheap subscription.

Reactions: aasami

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!