Blacklist, Whitelist & Greylist log

Izual

Dec 1, 2007
Hi.
I'm newbie using Proxmox 2.1 so I have some questions about some modules that I don't know how to use/understand:

Blacklist (Global): If I put domains or IP addresses here, all traffic from these blacklisted sites should be blocked and logs must not show these domains / IP addresses in the Graylist log, right? I'm seeing several of these domains blacklisted in that Graylist log.

Whitelist (Global): Domains and IP in this list must be accepted without any type of checking/analysis (Greylist, SPF, Anti-Spam, etc). Please explain exactly how it works, because I've seen several times that Whitelisted domains are listed in Graylist log

Graylist log (Tracking center -> Graylist): What am I seeing here? Greylist queue? or all log from incoming mail? Please tell me how it works and what it's showing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You have an excellent product, congratulations!

Regards

Hi.
I'm newbie using Proxmox 2.1 so I have some questions about some modules that I don't know how to use/understand:

Blacklist (Global): If I put domains or IP addresses here, all traffic from these blacklisted sites should be blocked and logs must not show these domains / IP addresses in the Graylist log, right? I'm seeing several of these domains blacklisted in that Graylist log.

Whitelist (Global): Domains and IP in this list must be accepted without any type of checking/analysis (Greylist, SPF, Anti-Spam, etc). Please explain exactly how it works, because I've seen several times that Whitelisted domains are listed in Graylist log

Graylist log (Tracking center -> Graylist): What am I seeing here? Greylist queue? or all log from incoming mail? Please tell me how it works and what it's showing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You have an excellent product, congratulations!

Regards

Hi,

Proxmox has 2 "filtering levels": One is on SMTP level, that means before the email is physically transfered to your network.

Filtering on SMTP level:
- Greylisting
- SPF
- RBL (on SMTP level)
- Reiceiver Verification (on SMTP level)

If an email is rejected on SMTP level, it will NEVER goes into the rule system. The rule system can only work, if the email is physically on your Proxmox. Please take a look into the deployment guide, chapter "3.4 Blocking Emails on SMTP level".

There is also a SMTP whitelist (Configuration/Mail Proxy/Whiteslist).
Please do not mix this with the whitelist in the rulesystem.

Greylist log:
You see all smtp events which have the status greylisted. Proxmox keeps this log for maximum two days. if a sender tries again, then Proxmox put this sender automatically to the greylist database as a known, good sender and accepts the emails from them in future.

For normal operation you do not need to look on this. It´s much easier to use the Mail Tracking Center to see if a message is greylisted or not.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!