BIND dns server rquired

luison

Renowned Member
Feb 22, 2010
Spain
alsur.es
Can anyone confirm if the BIND server that comes preinstalled and running with PVE 2 (on OVH servers at least) can be safely disabled and removed.
I use to run a small DNSMASQ instance on the host merely to act as a DNS cache and central point for all VMs on that host and BIND just seems to be too much for that.
Thanks.

Can anyone confirm if the BIND server that comes preinstalled and running with PVE 2 (on OVH servers at least) can be safely disabled and removed.
I use to run a small DNSMASQ instance on the host merely to act as a DNS cache and central point for all VMs on that host and BIND just seems to be too much for that.
Thanks.
Hi,
on a normal pve-installation you have only
Code:
ii  bind9-host                      1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8      Version of 'host' bundled with BIND 9.X
ii  libbind9-60                     1:9.7.3.dfsg-1~squeeze8      BIND9 Shared Library used by BIND
Udo

Our system included after install:

bind9 install
bind9-host install
bind9utils install
libbind9-60 install
I assume that means I can uninstall bind9 (server)

But what is the easiest to allow host to "forward" DNS requests? Does not PVE host include that?
I mean, I want all VMs and containers resolving to the hotst IP address so I can cache them and have static entries from there.

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!