Big Problem with Windows 2012 VM

afrugone

Renowned Member
Nov 26, 2008
repair.png I've a windows server 2012 I rebooted for reconfiguration, but starts with a blue screen to repair, I restore previous versions, but all backups have the same problem, the I try to repair but is not possible, but is not possible and get a message
"The drive where Windows is installed is locked.Unlock the drive and try again."

Please, If some one have an idea I'll appreciate very much your help.

The backup tasks has no errors.

Package versions
proxmox-ve: 4.4-76 (running kernel: 4.4.35-1-pve) pve-manager: 4.4-1 (running version: 4.4-1/eb2d6f1e) pve-kernel-4.4.35-1-pve: 4.4.35-76 lvm2: 2.02.116-pve3 corosync-pve: 2.4.0-1 libqb0: 1.0-1 pve-cluster: 4.0-48 qemu-server: 4.0-101 pve-firmware: 1.1-10 libpve-common-perl: 4.0-83 libpve-access-control: 4.0-19 libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-70 pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-1 vncterm: 1.2-1 pve-docs: 4.4-1 pve-qemu-kvm: 2.7.0-9 pve-container: 1.0-88 pve-firewall: 2.0-33 pve-ha-manager: 1.0-38 ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1 glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u2 lxc-pve: 2.0.6-2 lxcfs: 2.0.5-pve1 criu: 1.6.0-1 novnc-pve: 0.5-8 smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1~pve80 zfsutils: 0.6.5.8-pve13~bpo80

Thanks
Alfredo

Last edited:
I've noted that restore process is normal until reach 14% then goes very fast and finish in few seconds, that's not normal could be a problem with the backups or restore?

Besides I've when I try to connect using ssh to Proxmox servers and browse /mnt/pve it takes so long that I get a connection timeout and I can't view any image file.

I try to restore to another cluster, but same problem.

Last edited:
If you can't see the images how will windows see them? I guess your mount has some sort of problem.

Other VMs in the same store are OK, only have problems with this VM. The cluster can see the image and can restore, but the backups (10 of them) has something strange, becausethe restore process take about 10 minutes in restore the first 14% and the remaining 86% is restored in 5 seconds. I've checked the backup log and looks ok and the size is consistent.

So the images under LVM control? What is /mnt/pve for?
I think your volume is 14% full and the rest is empty, thats why i fasten up after 14%.?

Did you change something on the storage permission tab?

Thanks for your reply, I've months of work on this machine and I need to recover it. I'm using everything as standard, I haven't change anything so I don't know. I din't change anything in permissions

Thanks I tried bcdboot but I get this, but dive c: is not detected, if I use other paartmeters like
bcdboot c:\Windows /d I get "Failure when attemting to copy boot file"

Hmm, does lvs -a shows the image?
If nobody can help here and you will provide a backup image i will give it a try on my cluster.
You can message me if you want to do so.

I run lvs -a in the PVE server:
root@PVE001:~# lvs -a
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-aotz-- 184.84g 0.00 0.42
[data_tdata] pve Twi-ao---- 184.84g
[data_tmeta] pve ewi-ao---- 96.00m
[lvol0_pmspare] pve ewi------- 96.00m
root pve -wi-ao---- 69.50g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g

I think that the Repair process can not see the C: Drive, because it's a VIRTIO drive, its possible to simply change Virtio0 to Ide0 in conf file?

You cut something out? There are no vm disc's?
If you use LVM there should something like this:
vm-100-disk-1 pve Vwi-aotz-- 45,00g data 26,48
vm-100-disk-2 pve Vwi-aotz-- 800,00g data 6,33

Did you change the storage driver? You can change but Windows will not start with the wrong controller driver.
If you start from CD u must load the virtio driver if you use it before!

Where are your images store?

The disk images are in a NFS share, I tried to restore to a local drive, but same problem

I've changed from Virtio to IDE, now I can see de Drive in command prompt, I run the chkdsk

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 4
memory: 32768
name: VTG-HIJUMP-SQ2
net0: virtio=32:38:62:32:64:31,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win8
smbios1: uuid=ce44c63f-8489-4dc2-aa32-94539c4508fe
sockets: 1
ide0: VNXImages:102/vm-102-disk-1.qcow2,size=256G

Is possible to attach the image to another windows VM and try to recover from there?

OK, I attached the image file as Disk-2, but windows can not read it, I copy the restored image to the directory of other Windows 2012 VM ,and modify the conf file, restart windows, set the disk ONLINE and is detected by windows but can not be readed.
Whats wrong with Proxmox backup system? I check the logs and all backups looks OK, What can I do now?

Thanks

For what's worth it, I have had the same issue and in my case it was this:

I think that the Repair process can not see the C: Drive, because it's a VIRTIO drive, its possible to simply change Virtio0 to Ide0 in conf file?
I recreated a new VM with IDE0 and attached the qcow2 image to it and it was working again. :D

Of course you can also detach the hard disk from the VM and retach it as IDE0.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!