Big discovery on virtio performance

mgiammarco

Feb 18, 2010
Hello,
I have a proxmox cluster of three HP DL380 G9 with 192gb ram each, ssd disks, raid controller with bbu ,10g ethernet and so on.
I am using windows 10 and 2019 VMs on ceph with krbd, writeback, iothread and all options that can improve performance.
So I have installed NVMe disks and built another ceph cluster with only nvme.
No matter what I do i/o performance on windows 10 and 2019 is quite low (tested in severaly ways and with crystal disk mark)
In my office cluster which is with very modest I get much better i/o in my windows vm.
BUT in my windows machine I used FlexVDI virtio drivers (it was a test) which are a 2018 fork of virtio and they are 32bit (not even 64bit drivers)
So I installed a new windows 10 machine with virtiodrivers on cluster above and BUM! performance skyrocketed.
In repeated reads performance is so high that it is pretty clear that it is reading from page cache (krbd). The latest fedora virtio drivers get no improvements by page cache.
So the question is:
- why 0.171 and 0.173 virtio drivers are so slow?
- why 32bit drivers of 1 year ago are so fast?

Can someone test flexvdi drivers and confirm me that I am not dreaming?
Thanks,
Mario

I am talking about a 10x improvement in performance... is it strange nobody is interested.

I don't know, but it's not yet included in latest iso

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/CHANGELOG

But it's not the first time that drivers have regressions.

but it seem to be on big block transfert only.
(do you have crystal mark benchmark to see if it's failing with small block or big block size ?)

From the current use situation, the performance of rbd under windows (virtioscsi) is indeed relatively poor. Whether it is sequential reading and writing of large files or random reading and writing of small files, it can only reach 1/3 to 1/4 of bare rbd. Now, is there still room for driver optimization?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!