Beta Testing

MattWilliams

Jul 18, 2008
I am very interested in being a beta tester for VE. Please let me know if this is possible. I am very impressed with .9, and look forward to the future development.

Thanks,

Hi Matt,

if you downloaded and installed to Beta ISO, I guess you're a beta tester
If you find any bugs post them here or on the maillinglist.
;)

I guess I was meaning beta2, pre-releases, bleeding edge, whatnot.

thanks for your offer. we plan to release 0.9beta2 next week. including KVM 71 with a lot of improvements on the web interface for KVM.

network: bonding, multiple bridges, vlan - all on the web interface!

multiple bridges :D

Have you written any scripts to handle iscsi? I might throw something together just to handle setting up and monitoring iscsi connections. Not gonna worry about actually mounting the volumes yet because I haven't decided where is best to put them (the whole /var/lib/vz, or just the KVM, and just the OpenVZ... blah blah blah), but...

If you already have something, then I'll wait to see that.

multiple bridges :D

Have you written any scripts to handle iscsi? I might throw something together just to handle setting up and monitoring iscsi connections. Not gonna worry about actually mounting the volumes yet because I haven't decided where is best to put them (the whole /var/lib/vz, or just the KVM, and just the OpenVZ... blah blah blah), but...

If you already have something, then I'll wait to see that.

the new network model for beta2 - I think this is quite interesting and we are awaiting testing and feedback.

iscsi: nothing implemented yet.

To get iscsi working just download the kernel headers from the openvz website and then get the sources for iscsi. You will need to add a compiler to your system. Compile and install the iscsi modules and it will create the appropriate init script for you. Start the iscsi daemon and you are ready to be a target.

What ISCSI level are you looking for? ISCSI within the VE/VM, or storing the NODES data and root on ISCSI?

I setup one of my nodes to use ISCSI (open-iscsi) so all the VE/VM's are stored on my NAS, which just gives me the benefit of not relying on cheap harddrives in my NODES..

I do hope to see some good ISCSI/NFS datastore support going forward, because lets face it, in enterprise enviroments, we dont keep critical data on a nodes hard drive. I use OpenFiler for this project, but we also have 20TB NetApp arrays, so I could really make good use of some decent GUI ISCSI support.

Can Version 0.9 (bare-metal install) be upgraded to beta2 when it comes out??

To get iscsi working just download the kernel headers from the openvz website and then get the sources for iscsi. You will need to add a compiler to your system. Compile and install the iscsi modules and it will create the appropriate init script for you. Start the iscsi daemon and you are ready to be a target.

Can Version 0.9 (bare-metal install) be upgraded to beta2 when it comes out??

yes, via apt-get - see the release notes of 0.9beta2 coming next week.

For live migration of KVM VMs the disk images need to be accessible to both machines, so that will require a NFS setup. OpenVZ containers don't seem to live migrate that way, though they could probably be scripted to be paused on one node and resumed on another if running on shared storage. Also, there's no reason to duplicate the OpenVZ template store across the cluster.

So, I think the proper setup would be to iSCSI the entire /var/lib/vz directory and the NFS the images/ and template/ directories. I'm not sure what other parts of a PVE system are critical and should be stored on NAS.

What functions should the GUI allow?

Attaching to an iSCSI share.
Mounting iSCSI/NFS share to any location or just specific ones (like /var/lib/vz etc...)
Monitor current connections.

For me I would like the whole deal in a wizard like presentation where I just point it to the iSCSI target and the NFS shares and it does all the rest. Even better would be a install feature which allowed a person to setup PVE without the /var/lib/vz directory and then 'deploy' it after the NAS connections are made. This would bring the setup closer to being able to run on a live CD which seems to me to be the dream.

What ISCSI level are you looking for? ISCSI within the VE/VM, or storing the NODES data and root on ISCSI?

I setup one of my nodes to use ISCSI (open-iscsi) so all the VE/VM's are stored on my NAS, which just gives me the benefit of not relying on cheap harddrives in my NODES..

I do hope to see some good ISCSI/NFS datastore support going forward, because lets face it, in enterprise enviroments, we dont keep critical data on a nodes hard drive. I use OpenFiler for this project, but we also have 20TB NetApp arrays, so I could really make good use of some decent GUI ISCSI support.

Yes, you've got the idea there.. Sounds all too like my VMware cluster (which I love, and hate $$$).

However, from experience OpenVZ VE's do not play nice on NFS (quotas), so I think as of right now the only shared storage would be for the QEMU images using NFS (as you suggested).

I wonder if anyone figured out a nice way to share VE's via NFS... Best go look at OpenVZ forums for that because last I tested, Quotas just went to sh!t when I tried.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!