Best Raid Controller

jburleson

Apr 29, 2008
Jonesboro, AR
This may have been asked before, but a quick search through the forum did not show anything.

Our department got some extra money so I am finally able to buy some raid controllers for our servers :)

Searching around google for controllers returned alot possibilities, but before I buy anything I wanted to check with the community to see what everybody else was running.

I also thought it might be a good chance for everyone to post what controllers they are using for future proxmox users who are getting ready to setup their servers.

Our current configuration:
Two Dell PowerEdge SC1425 (They have intergrate CERC 2 software raid controllers)

Thanks

This may have been asked before, but a quick search through the forum did not show anything.

Our department got some extra money so I am finally able to buy some raid controllers for our servers :)

Searching around google for controllers returned alot possibilities, but before I buy anything I wanted to check with the community to see what everybody else was running.

I also thought it might be a good chance for everyone to post what controllers they are using for future proxmox users who are getting ready to setup their servers.

Our current configuration:
Two Dell PowerEdge SC1425 (They have intergrate CERC 2 software raid controllers)

Thanks

The Raid Controller has to support Debian Etch (without the need of extra drivers). Proxmox VE uses a 2.6.24 Kernel.

We got very good results with Adaptec 3805 SATA/SAS - we use these controller for "custom" machines, mainly in the test lab. HP server and there built in raid controller are also known to have good support for Debian Etch.

Make sure you get a batterie backup for write caching.

Last edited:
If I had to buy a new controller now it would be an Adaptec 5805.
No experience with them though. I now have LSI SAS contollers in my servers and their performance is satisfactory.

Tom's hardware isn't the most reliable source but one of the few comparisons of recent SAS controllers:
http://stage.tomshardware.com/2008/...ified_serial_controllers_dissected/index.html
Watch out for Areca as they perform really bad in certain scenarios. Maybe their popularity is based on SATA performance or their support for open source drivers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!