[SOLVED] Best Practive where to install Proxmox OS - Cluster

Younex

Jan 30, 2018
Hi,

i plan to install proxmox on on a cluster of 5 servers where i have only 1 SD Card slot or some USB Slots available.

The hard drive i plan to use of course for CEPH.

My questions is what is best practice to install the operating system to?
To a SD card or USB?
Due the writes those Flash Storage is not the best idea?

My idea was to have an PCI-Express SSD to install the OS to?
Thanks.

Due the writes those Flash Storage is not the best idea?
at least not cheap Flash storage as typically found in USB Sticks or SD Cards.
My idea was to have an PCI-Express SSD to install the OS to?
If you want to buy a PCI-E SSD it might be cheaper to use it with Ceph and install the OS on a harddrive. Most PCI-E SSDs should have a long enough livespan for a PVE installation.

Regards, Jonas

at least not cheap Flash storage as typically found in USB Sticks or SD Cards.

If you want to buy a PCI-E SSD it might be cheaper to use it with Ceph and install the OS on a harddrive. Most PCI-E SSDs should have a long enough livespan for a PVE installation.

Regards, Jonas

Thanks for reply.

But i see the problem to use PCI-E SSD as a OSD for CEPH in case of a failure it would require to shutdown the Node to replace it.
So i think PCI-E SSD would make then only sense for OS?
(Of course the OS Drive could faile too, but using it as OS and not for the data it would be less in usage which would be not such a high failure risk as a data disk)

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!