Best practice on how to assign IP address to management port

kevdog

Feb 28, 2019
Thanks for help

I've installed Proxmox on a Protectli device with 6 physical ethernet ports. In setting up the machine I set on of the ports as the management port, one as the WAN port and the third as a LAN port. (I haven't done anything with the 3 remaining physical ports). Inside of Proxmox I installed a virtualized pfSense router with the WAN port connected to WAN and LAN connected to LAN of the router. The Proxmox router is working on the 10.0.1.1/24 subnet. What IP address do I assigned to the management port? I'm thinking if the virtualized pfsense router goes down, I need a way to restart the VM -- and I suppose this is through use of the management port? What is best practice for upgrades? If proxmox is updated does the pfSense VM need to be stopped?

Thanks for any insights.

I want also to stick to tak post because there is a bit issue with proxmox. Doing vlan awareness
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0.5
iface vmbr0.5 inet static
        address  10.10.10.2
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  10.10.10.1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge_ports eno1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_vlan_aware yes

And funny is that systemctl restart networking fails one time but another restart it doesn't fails. But when doing again it fails again.. and again and again , endless loop. One time it works next restart doesn't and so on.

Code:
Mar  1 22:06:51 srv-pve ifup[47517]: Cannot find device "vmbr0.1000"
Mar  1 22:06:51 srv-pve ifup[47517]: ifup: failed to bring up vmbr0.1000

The way that I have my virtualized router setup is as follows, and I can access the proxmox management GUI or ssh into the node even if the router is offline.

Virutually it looks like this:
Internet -> ISP Modem -> WAN Ports -> pfsense -> LAN Ports - > Managed Backbone Switch -> Other switches / devices

Physically here are the NIC Assignments
Onboard NIC 1 & 2 - bridged using LACP and set to LAN IP based address (ex: 192.168.1.21) and is used to handle management and storage traffic

PCI-E NIC 1 Port 1, 2 & 3 - bridged using LACP and is set to be the LAN interface for other VMs
PCI-E NIC 1 Port 4 - unassigned

PCI-E NIC 1 Port 1, 2, 3 & 4 - bridged using LACP and provides the link between pfsense LAN and backbone switch

PCI-E NIC 1 Port 1 - WAN 1
PCI-E NIC 1 Port 2 - WAN 2
PCI-E NIC 1 Port 3 & 4 - unassigned

They are all 1 Gb/s cards so I can get the following bandwidth between interface uses:
Management / Storage = 2 Gb/s
VM LAN = 3 Gb/s

pfsense LAN = 4 Gb/s
pfsense WAN 1 = 1Gb/s
pfsense WAN 2 = 1Gb/s

Anything that is bridged with another NIC is first configured as a Linux bond and then as a virtual bridge. For pfsense both WANs and the LAN are their own bonds/bridges and are only assigned to the pfsense VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!