Best practice for independent storages

Toastyyy3

May 28, 2024
Hey,

what's the best practice to ensure that storages or disks are somewhat independent from proxmox? To make it a little clearer:
I have two 8TB drives and one 3TB partition on each for a RAID for nextcloud. I'd like to pass it through to nextcloud as directly as possible because I don't want any other data on that RAID anyways to ensure I can recover it even if something happens to my proxmox instance or the nextcloud container. Currently I created a ZFS RAID 1 array and added a mount point in my unprivileged nextcloud container. Looking into the /RAID directory reveals that there is a subdirectory for my container. Now if I recover a LXC backup or destroy the container for some reason, the data will also be destroyed. I don't want that. I want that data to be on there until I explicitly remove it. In other words I want it to be more independent from the container. How to achieve that? Do I have to create a hardware RAID and pass that through to nextcloud? Or just create a ZFS RAID and tell proxmox to not create a storage and pass that directory through?
I also have a jellyfin instance where I pass through a single partition which works great but a drawback is that I don't see any details for that storage...

What's the best practice for such situations?
I can imagine many people create partitions for single LXCs or VMs, how do they handle that? Sometimes it's not necessary to have proxmox as some kind of middleman so it'd be better to just pass the storage through directly.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!