[SOLVED] Best FS for Snapshots / Migration / Cloning

Right now I have LVM-thin. It allows for backup and snapshots. But I cannot clone or use replication.

Basically I need to know what allows me to do backup, snapshots and replication, except Ceph.
To use replication I think you have to use ZFS or BTRFS

Right now I have LVM-thin. It allows for backup and snapshots. But I cannot clone or use replication.

Basically I need to know what allows me to do backup, snapshots and replication, except Ceph.
You did not mention replication in your first post.

=> If you need storage replication, ZFS is the way to go (and the only option)

Reactions: Razva
You did not mention replication in your first post.

=> If you need storage replication, ZFS is the way to go (and the only option)
Any way to have disk overcommitment on ZFS? I've migrated a VM that has a 1 TB disk but only 20GB are used. On the LVM-thin node 20 GB are "blocked". On the ZFS node the `raw` image appears as 1 TB and it "blocks" 1 TB of space in the pool.

Any way to workaround this?

ZFS is thin-provisioned. A 1TB Zvol that only uses 20GB should only consume 20GB of the pool by default. And LZ4 compression should be enabled by default which will also strip down all zero data. If it really uses the full 1TB you should check if there are snapshots present that are blocking the freeup process or if discard/trim isn't working. ZFS will only freeup storage if the guest is telling it to do it by sending trim commands.

Last edited:
ZFS is thin-provisioned. A 1TB Zvol that only uses 20GB should only consume 20GB of the pool by default. And LZ4 compression should be enabled by default which will also strip down all zero data. If it really uses the full 1TB you should check if there are snapshots present that are blocking the freeup process or if discard/trim isn't working.
I've restored the VM on the "local-zfs" pool, created by default. The size is correct, 20 GB.

Do I need to create the ZFS pool via CLI? When creating it via UI the only options are RAID Level, Compression (LZ4) and ashift. I think that we're missing sparse somewhere?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!