Best configuration Backup MX

Lgsitec

Jun 17, 2008
Hi,

in our infrastructure there are two MX mounting proxmox. Obviously one is our Primary MX, the other is a Backup MX. We experienced some delay problems in the relaying of mails depending on greylisting ( that is configured on both).

My question is: What is the best configuration of a Primary and Backup MX both mountig Proxmox?

Thank you for answering.

Hi,

in our infrastructure there are two MX mounting proxmox. Obviously one is our Primary MX, the other is a Backup MX. We experienced some delay problems in the relaying of mails depending on greylisting ( that is configured on both).

My question is: What is the best configuration of a Primary and Backup MX both mountig Proxmox?

Thank you for answering.

just to make clear:
you have two mx records pointing both to just one Proxmox server?

Hi,

Thank you for answering.

can you specify and send logs regarding "...some delay problems..."?

The problems are about greylisting, when my server reply 451 some smtp servers try to contact my backup MX receiving 451 error message..... is a sort of loop....

The problems are about greylisting, when my server reply 451 some smtp servers try to contact my backup MX receiving 451 error message..... is a sort of loop....

please describe your setup in detail (including DNS MX settings) in order to have the whole picture here.

DNS:

mx1.logostech.it MX priority 5 89.251.177.5
mx2.logostech.it MX priority 10 89.251.177.9

Greylisting enabled on both.

In this moment mx1 and mx2 are configured in the same way.

So, MX2 relay mails to destination server and not to MX1 ( just to make the situation clear)

So, MX2 relay mails to destination server and not to MX1 ( just to make the situation clear)

if the first Proxmox server rejects an email with greylisting the sending smtp tries the second Proxmox server and the second will also greylist. that behavior is ok.

Solution:
If you run two Proxmox servers to enhance HA you should configure them as a HA cluster - therefore the greylist database can be synchronized between the two servers.

Is there any type of work-around?

1. Accept the delays due to greylisting on both servers
  2. Use one Proxmox server and one MX record
  3. Disable greylisting

We experienced some delay problems in the relaying of mails depending on greylisting ( that is configured on both).

You will always have delays when you use greylisting (unless the sender has a valid spf record). Thats due to the algorithm. Or what exactly are your 'delay problems'? Its also quite normal (common) that both servers are contacted - so whats the problem?

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!